TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Bad news  (Read 3828 times)

LGCapri

• 1992 Purple Capri XR2
Bad news
« on: March 13, 2019, 06:11:36 PM »

So the belt problem that I had been talking about previously has come back, even after the fix that we did. It only fell off this time, it hasn't sheered off. Any suggestions?

blueamber

Re: Bad news
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 08:34:04 PM »

So what was the fix that you tried?  With belt off (1) the alt should spin freely, (2) the water pump should spin freely, (3) no back and forth wobbles in the alternator, (4) original or replacement alternator

LGCapri

• 1992 Purple Capri XR2
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 08:53:29 PM »

My mechanic said that the water pump pulley was bent in a way that was making the belt rub too much to the point where it would snap. So i got a new water pump pulley and it was installed today with a new belt. I drove for about 10 minutes, and the belt popped off

blueamber

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 10:54:36 PM »

So, the reason you were looking for a new water pump pulley was because you were loosing belts and a mechanic said you needed a new water pump pulley... the reason for my question enumerations were (1) to eliminate a binding alternator, (2) to eliminate a binding water pump (3) to eliminate a worn/broken bracket holding the alternator in place (4) new alternators with wrong alternator pulley commonly throw belts ... number 3 and 4 are fairly common

LGCapri

• 1992 Purple Capri XR2
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 01:38:44 PM »

I'll look into 3 and 4 independently then, thank you. How hard is it to fix either of those problems?

blueamber

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 09:27:24 PM »

I have heard that an alternator bracket is available new from O'reillys, can't verify that,

BEst fix for an aftermarket alternator is never to buy one, get the old one rebuilt... that being said, a beefier belt has been known to help, with a premium brand like gates

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 09:43:44 AM »

I have heard that an alternator bracket is available new from O'reillys, can't verify that,

BEst fix for an aftermarket alternator is never to buy one, get the old one rebuilt... that being said, a beefier belt has been known to help, with a premium brand like gates

I'll second all that.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd