TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Air Flow Meter / Mass Flow Sensor upgrade.  (Read 1769 times)

Kiwimagic

• 1990 SA SOHC, 1991 SA Verde DOHC, 1994 XR2 Turbo
Air Flow Meter / Mass Flow Sensor upgrade.
« on: June 02, 2020, 09:53:11 PM »

Is there a easy upgrade to the air flow meter /Mass Flow Sensor.
I'm looking at upgrading my air filter to a pod style and looking at how to get a larger/longer pod into the space. As it is now I can only fit one that is 89 mm long. I could trim the last 2 cm of off the intake pipe but that only gives me 2 cm more length of pod. There dose not seem to be much available between 89 mm and 150 mm long pods around.
I have done a little bit of research and found there are other sensors that seem to be more accurate and smaller in size. Air Flap Type v Hot wire sensor type. Or would a sensor like this (Air Flow Meter Ford Courier Econovan Laser Mazda Bravo B2600 323 MX5 FP39-13-215) be a better unit instead of the bulky OEM units. What would need to be done to fit one of these.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Air Flow Meter / Mass Flow Sensor upgrade.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 05:03:02 PM »

The ECU isn't going to talk to a different type/style of airflow meter. I believe we have the largest/highest flow VAF among all the mazda engines used with this style of VAF engine management. The N/A had a smaller VAF. Even N/A & XR2 units are not compatible to swap.

Hotwire type like you referenced would need a totally different ECU / management scheme to utilize. Would be "easier" to go to aftermarket standalone management and run speed-density fuel algorithm which does not use a VAF/MAF at all.

The stock VAF can handle quite a bit, unless you're running a much bigger aftermarket turbo it's not a weak spot

They make a short cone-style filter that works well, it's half the size of a regular cone. Don't be afraid to move the VAF around, just keep it level so gravity isn't affecting the flapper
Something like this: www.amazon.com/Spectre-Performance-Universal-Clamp-Filter/dp/B005BHUXPO
Get rid of the stock Jpipe, run the VAF down in front of the transmission inline with the turbo's intake, and you can fit a full-size cone filter down there

This is the system I ran on my XR2 for a long time. Hardware store plumbing fittings. I even moved it to the 1.8L turbo in my GTXR2 when I swapped/converted it:

1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Air Flow Meter / Mass Flow Sensor upgrade.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 07:35:20 AM »

Nice!
Jack Byrd