TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Air Flow Meter / Mass Flow Sensor upgrade.  (Read 1770 times)

Kiwimagic

• 1990 SA SOHC, 1991 SA Verde DOHC, 1994 XR2 Turbo
Air Flow Meter / Mass Flow Sensor upgrade.
« on: June 02, 2020, 09:53:11 PM »

Is there a easy upgrade to the air flow meter /Mass Flow Sensor.
I'm looking at upgrading my air filter to a pod style and looking at how to get a larger/longer pod into the space. As it is now I can only fit one that is 89 mm long. I could trim the last 2 cm of off the intake pipe but that only gives me 2 cm more length of pod. There dose not seem to be much available between 89 mm and 150 mm long pods around.
I have done a little bit of research and found there are other sensors that seem to be more accurate and smaller in size. Air Flap Type v Hot wire sensor type. Or would a sensor like this (Air Flow Meter Ford Courier Econovan Laser Mazda Bravo B2600 323 MX5 FP39-13-215) be a better unit instead of the bulky OEM units. What would need to be done to fit one of these.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Air Flow Meter / Mass Flow Sensor upgrade.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 05:03:02 PM »

The ECU isn't going to talk to a different type/style of airflow meter. I believe we have the largest/highest flow VAF among all the mazda engines used with this style of VAF engine management. The N/A had a smaller VAF. Even N/A & XR2 units are not compatible to swap.

Hotwire type like you referenced would need a totally different ECU / management scheme to utilize. Would be "easier" to go to aftermarket standalone management and run speed-density fuel algorithm which does not use a VAF/MAF at all.

The stock VAF can handle quite a bit, unless you're running a much bigger aftermarket turbo it's not a weak spot

They make a short cone-style filter that works well, it's half the size of a regular cone. Don't be afraid to move the VAF around, just keep it level so gravity isn't affecting the flapper
Something like this: www.amazon.com/Spectre-Performance-Universal-Clamp-Filter/dp/B005BHUXPO
Get rid of the stock Jpipe, run the VAF down in front of the transmission inline with the turbo's intake, and you can fit a full-size cone filter down there

This is the system I ran on my XR2 for a long time. Hardware store plumbing fittings. I even moved it to the 1.8L turbo in my GTXR2 when I swapped/converted it:

1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Air Flow Meter / Mass Flow Sensor upgrade.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 07:35:20 AM »

Nice!
Jack Byrd