TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Belt Problems  (Read 2027 times)

LGCapri

• 1992 Purple Capri XR2
Belt Problems
« on: January 17, 2019, 05:52:32 PM »

So i've owned the same capri since June of last year, and It has gone through a total of 4 serpentine/fan belts. The original belt lasted the longest, then the second belt I put on lasted about 3 months, the one after that lasted about a week, then this one that broke today lasted about a week. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

d4rkangel

• 1993 Mercury Capri XR2
Re: Belt Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 07:36:33 PM »

When I first bought my car in 2016, the previous owner told me that the alternator slowly comes mis-aligned. I had problems with the belt screaming and squealing. Perhaps something is mis-aligned and putting unexpected stresses on the belt.

LGCapri

• 1992 Purple Capri XR2
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 12:16:12 AM »

Is the realignment of alternators a tough job? I just got my own set of tools so I may be able to do it myself

blueamber

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 11:47:22 AM »

So this is one of the reasons the previous owner sold you the car!  It's well documented in this and other forums that most replacement alternators have the wrong size pulley installed.  If yours is a replacement then, short of finding an original alternator, there are some heavy duty belts to choose from (not Autozone crap) that help with longevity.

There is no re-alignment procedure.  Check alignment with a straightedge.  If it is bad, then you may have a broken alternator mounting bracket.

Search around, this problem is very prevalent (and aggravating)...