TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: No Spark/ Trouble Code#1  (Read 6510 times)

NiteLord

• 91Cap,94Cap,86FieroGT,94G.C
No Spark/ Trouble Code#1
« on: January 11, 2019, 06:08:15 PM »

Car stopped running 5 months ago, got a Code#1 so I bought a new ignitor, no luck so I bought 2 Rebuilt Distributors still no luck...Left the car set for several weeks and it started right up, Replaced each Distributor, 3 of them, the car would start right up on each distributor...Ran the car for several months no problems, in fact it ran great...The car decided to stall on me on the road, again no spark with a Trouble code #1..Tried all three distributors, no luck..obviously it's not the igniter causing this problem and I'm getting 12v at the Coil...
.any ideas on why this is happening..????..

chukT

Re: No Spark/ Trouble Code#1
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 10:01:46 PM »

Curious, how are you testing for spark? Are you putting a plug in a wire and watching while cranking?
You say you have 12v at the coil, is that with the key in the run position only, or with the key in both the run and crank positions?

Have you checked to be sure all the ground connections for the engine and computer are clean and secure?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 12:53:47 AM »

When it's dead, does the tach needle bounce when cranking the engine?
How does the wiring to the distributor look?
Also check & clean the wiring under the fuse block under the hood, pull apart the harness connectors there and spray with contact cleaner. There's one in there that can cause a no-spark issue
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

NiteLord

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 02:31:56 PM »

No Tach bounce when cranking...cleaned ground wires plus added two additional grounds to block and trans.....check main fuse box under hood and cleaned all the wiring, getting 12v at all the fuses except Ign. fuse getting 10.6v with key on....checked igniter with key on getting 12.6v, getting 10.6 while cranking...Coil is at 12.6v with key on, 10.6v while cranking...

chukT

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 07:08:48 PM »

Sounds like something has a draw or bad contact in the ignition circuit. I wonder what the voltage on the ign fuse would read with the distributer unplugged and the key on.

I'm guessing you have a corroded contact somewhere in the harness for the ignition circuit.

NiteLord

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 07:32:16 PM »

I'll give that a go tomorrow..

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 11:46:19 AM »

There is no Ignition fuse, only an injection fuse in the engine compartment fuse block and it's not required to get the ignition system working.  The connector that Rocketman is referring to near the engine fuse block is C135, it has 3 wires. Yellow/blue for the tach signal to the instrument gauge, black/white supplies 12V to the ignition coil directly from the ignition switch, and a blue wire the feeds 12V from the Injection fuse to the main relay on the engine harness.

Seeing that you have 12V on the Black/white wire at the ignition coil, it doesn't look like connector C135 is the issue. You also said you have 12V on the black/white wire at the distributor too which means the ignition system should be powered up.

The next thing I would do is unplug the ignition coil and do an OHM reading across the primary winding, it should read around 2-3 ohms or less. After that, I would check for continuity of the yellow/blue wire between the distributor, ignition coil, and connector C135.

NiteLord

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 02:34:20 PM »

coil is good, tested continuity from block c135, yellow/blue to coil, to distributor all good...problem is any metal i.e. the battery ground, the car body any where that there is metal I'm getting continuity from the yellow/blue wire...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:58:06 PM by NiteLord »

chukT

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 05:32:11 PM »

I'm not familiar with that circuit and don't have a schematic, but I'd start tracing out that circuit if it's not supposed to be grounded. It sounds like that may be your problem, if it's grounded and not supposed to be.

NiteLord

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 10:22:08 AM »

Went out this morning after 12 days of no start and she fired right up at the touch of the key...I left her warm up and after 15 minutes went out to shut her off but as soon as I sat down in the seat she shut off all by herself and wouldn't restart..the mystery continues...LoL..LoL..

chukT

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 09:18:11 AM »

Keep tracing those wires. You've got a short, crack, or loose-dirty connection somewhere.

I doubt that it's under the driver seat  ;D