Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Capri N/A 89-94

No Spark/ Trouble Code#1

(1/3) > >>

NiteLord:
Car stopped running 5 months ago, got a Code#1 so I bought a new ignitor, no luck so I bought 2 Rebuilt Distributors still no luck...Left the car set for several weeks and it started right up, Replaced each Distributor, 3 of them, the car would start right up on each distributor...Ran the car for several months no problems, in fact it ran great...The car decided to stall on me on the road, again no spark with a Trouble code #1..Tried all three distributors, no luck..obviously it's not the igniter causing this problem and I'm getting 12v at the Coil...
.any ideas on why this is happening..????..

chukT:
Curious, how are you testing for spark? Are you putting a plug in a wire and watching while cranking?
You say you have 12v at the coil, is that with the key in the run position only, or with the key in both the run and crank positions?

Have you checked to be sure all the ground connections for the engine and computer are clean and secure?

Rocketman:
When it's dead, does the tach needle bounce when cranking the engine?
How does the wiring to the distributor look?
Also check & clean the wiring under the fuse block under the hood, pull apart the harness connectors there and spray with contact cleaner. There's one in there that can cause a no-spark issue

NiteLord:
No Tach bounce when cranking...cleaned ground wires plus added two additional grounds to block and trans.....check main fuse box under hood and cleaned all the wiring, getting 12v at all the fuses except Ign. fuse getting 10.6v with key on....checked igniter with key on getting 12.6v, getting 10.6 while cranking...Coil is at 12.6v with key on, 10.6v while cranking...

chukT:
Sounds like something has a draw or bad contact in the ignition circuit. I wonder what the voltage on the ign fuse would read with the distributer unplugged and the key on.

I'm guessing you have a corroded contact somewhere in the harness for the ignition circuit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version