TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: HELP111 tOP WON'T GO DOWN  (Read 8220 times)

magicmini

HELP111 tOP WON'T GO DOWN
« on: May 21, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »

I really could use some help from some one smarter than I. I can't get the top down on my 92. Another owner told me that the 2 little square pieces with the wire going through them have to be conected so the side stays straight. I have tried several different kind of glues to no avail. Any suggestions would be gratefully apprecitated. Thanks Maryellen

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »

did the nuts fall off the end? i thought they had nuts to hold them in
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

yen

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »

Hi Maryellen,
Which part of the process are you having trouble with?
Is the roof not completely folding into its compartment?
If it folds back but not enough to close the compartment, try swinging in the second roof rib (over head roof bar) into position while folding down the roof.
Hope that helps.
1990 Ford Capri
1.6L SOHC

bhazard

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 01:40:00 AM »

I have to do as yen says, the bar has become detached from the top over time.
93 Festiva L, lotsa miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, Rocketchip
Best ET 12.99, Best MPH 109.8, 22\\" slicks
88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, 182k miles, slightly modded, 14.71 @ 92.4mph 2.02 60\\\', end of the road

magicmini

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »

HURRAY!! Thanks to your help I got it down and more importantly I now how to do it.  Thanks Again. Maryellen
Now if I could only get it to shift????

yen

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »

Glad to be of service.
The shift has got me confused, what are you trying to shift?
1990 Ford Capri
1.6L SOHC

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »

has the car had any major work done recently ??? i did a tranny (well a clutch )once in mine and i tightened the linkage too tight when i reassembled.. it shifted hard and i missed 3rd alot racing the car... i took and just loostened the nuts that pinch the the linkage to the tranny and to the shifter ( non stationary bar )
and it freed the shifter out of its bind..  shifted much smoother, and no missed shifts..

scenario 2 ...i also have had a clutch cable that was too tight cuase it to shift hard...
the pedal was engaging too soon and i wasnt getting it all the way in gear when speed shifting.. resulting with some nasty grinding popping out of gear... and me wondering why i couldnt drive worth crap....i loostened the adjuster nut on the cable, on the tranny.. and it solved the problem making the clutch close at a greater pedal height.. allowing me enough time to get it in gear....

220hp@18psi

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »

good call yen.. i gotta push that center bar a little to get my top to drop into the compartment too.... must be common huh?

220hp@18psi

magicmini

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »

My 92 is an automatic. I bought if off ebay and the owmer said the tranny was weak but if the fluid was kept full it shifted fine. Ya what ever! The only tranny I could find was in Califonia for $1,000 + shipping but they would not gaurantee it. So I bought a better "NEW" 92. So now I must decide to fix the old 92 tranny before I try to sell it or sell it as is. Any idea the cost of rebuilding? The engine only has 47,000 miles but it has a good size dent  in the rear fender and a rip in the roof. I welcome your expert opinons. Thanks Maryellen