Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Capri N/A 89-94

Back on the road

(1/6) > >>

chukT:
  It's been a few years since I was here. I used to have a 91 N/A. I put about 100,000 miles on it as a commuter car, and have been wanting to get another. Fast forward 10 years and we're dragging home another new-to-me 91. High miles, bit of rust, and it's been sitting for years. My plan is to get it running right, then tear it all apart, fix the rusty bits, freshen up the suspension and brakes, then use it for the occasional ride or autocross day. Wish me luck!

This car would start when I bought it. The fellow told me he put a gallon or so of gas in it, it ran, but had a bad miss. I started it up, saw the oil pressure gauge move, didn't hear any terrible noises and decided good enough. we made a deal and loaded it up for the trip home.

At home I replaced the shattered 80 amp main fuse, pulled the plugs and replaced with new. Did a compression test while I was there and got 145-155 on all 4 holes.. The old plugs were heavily carbon fouled, so I pulled the plugged up air filter out too. I checked the plug wires with a meter, examined the cap and rotor and all looked good.

Next step was the old gas. Popped the rear seat bottom and pulled the fuel pump. Yuck, what a mess! Got to love Ethanol! Next step now is dropping the tank for a good cleaning. 

greywolf27030:
Welcome back, sounds like you're off to a good start.  Sounds a lot like my first one.  Wish you a lot of luck.  Where are you located?

Jack Byrd

chukT:
 PA.
 Johnstown area.
 About an hour east of Pittsburgh.

Trackerrrr:
Good luck. I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you replace the fuel filter and rubber lines. Blow out all the old gas from lines too. I just went thru this myself with my beater that had sat for seven years. That old gas will contaminate everything it touches. Check out my build thread for the issues I had, you may want to think about new pump strainer too.

http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php/topic,4041.0.html

Trackerrrr:
Also good board on Facebook here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/210318449008872/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version