Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Aftermarket

LED Tail light bulbs

(1/2) > >>

blueamber:
Just repaired all 6 of my 94xr2 lenses, tried researching the best LED bulb to replace the incandescent 1157.  Wanted to make sure the difference between tail light on and brake light on was definite.  I tried several, settled on the LED Sylvania 1157R.  Its red, seems redundant, but works really well... and no more melting...

blueamber:
Crap!  Just discovered putting the LED bulbs in made my cruise control stop working!  Seems the cruise circuit relies on a ground through the filaments of the stop bulbs to work.  That is missing with the LEDs, which have electronics internal.  Maybe I can run a big resistor to ground in the circuit to fix it....

Again, this is for 1994 cars, the cruise system is different than for 91 to 93, don't know if LEDs will screw it up or not.

greywolf27030:
Thanks, come spring I've got to work on my cruise also.

Jack Byrd

Skunkwrkz:
Couldn't you just make redundant harnesses (that can be packaged and hidden) for the regular stop bulbs for the time being? So that the cruise thinks they are there? Couple pig tail harnesses and some vampire connectors later.  8)

blueamber:
Solved it by crimping 50 ohm resistor between ground and hot wire to the stop part of one of the 1157 bulbs.  Fools cruise into thinking there is a filament to ground.  So I guess cruise stops working if both your 94 stop lights burn out...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version