TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: WTB VJ11 compressor wheel and housing or whole turbo  (Read 2669 times)

racern8

• '91 Capri XR2
WTB VJ11 compressor wheel and housing or whole turbo
« on: October 23, 2018, 11:27:11 AM »

Hi all,

I bought a '91 XR2 back in August and have been enjoying the car a lot with just a mbc set to 9 lbs. and the airbox mod. I'm going to park the car for the winter soon with the intentions of fixing up a few little things (clutch, wheel bearing, brakes, small coolant leak from thermostat housing) and I also want to start piecing together the hybrid turbo so I can get the rocketchip.

If anybody has a VJ11 or knows where the best places are to look, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nate

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: WTB VJ11 compressor wheel and housing or whole turbo
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 02:09:32 PM »

Well I mean, you can use the Rocketchip just fine with the stock turbo (up to 16psi). You don't need the hybrid to run it. It does support the hybrid if you decide to go larger.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

racern8

• '91 Capri XR2
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 03:34:32 PM »

Ok cool, I'll get with you on the chip in the next few weeks then and in the meantime I'll keep my eye out for a VJ11. In my poking around on the site, I recall reading something about the stock VJ14 not necessarily loving 16 psi. Is there anything I should look out for when running that much boost on the stock turbo (IAT, EGT, overheating/damaging the turbo with too many consecutive pulls, etc.)?

Thanks,
Nate

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 11:36:35 PM »

The stock VJ14 is technically capable of going over 16psi, but it is waaaaaay over-spooled at that point. It wears excessively on the bearings, and also creates a massive amount of heat (it's way out of its efficiency zone) which is also not great for the engine.

I have run a stock Vj14 to 22+ psi and nearly immediately killed it back in my early days of playing with these cars, and that was a tough lesson.

16psi is the acceptable safe limit between turbine speed and thus efficiency (heat), bearing wear, and what the engine can take. A few have put on more efficient turbos and gone higher.
(Keep in mind this turbocharger design was created in the mid-late 1980's and fluid dynamics have come a LONG way since then)

Luckily our turbocharger is water cooled so that keeps the bearings from coking. Look into supporting mods if you'd like to go further with a build and keep things in the safe zone

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 11:50:53 AM »

More efficient turbos are something I've been interested in.  I assume there isn't a modern turbo that will come close to bolting on.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

racern8

• '91 Capri XR2
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 02:04:41 PM »

Thank you Rocket! I appreciate all the help.

Thanks,
Nate

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 11:23:21 PM »

More efficient turbos are something I've been interested in.  I assume there isn't a modern turbo that will come close to bolting on.

Jack Byrd

Your assumption is correct. Aside from the hybrid turbos (if you consider them bolt-on), there is nothing that will bolt on.
There is an adapter for the turbo flange that someone makes, but you're on your own with a downpipe then, fittings, intake piping, etc.
It can be done. It takes some effort

Having a welder helps :)