TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: WTB Radiator to fit 91 Xr2  (Read 6437 times)

Incubus828

• '96 Mazda Miata, '91 Capri Xr2
WTB Radiator to fit 91 Xr2
« on: September 30, 2018, 04:13:53 PM »

Hey guys,

I'm sure you have seen me post a couple times but I'm slowly working on fixing up a 91 Xr2.

Right now the main issue I have is a really bad radiator leak, so I'm looking to buy a new one. Preferably, I would like to buy a full aluminum one so I don't have to worry about any plastic cracking etc etc. However I'm not sure as to where to acquire that. If anyone has one or if anyone knows where I can get one I would be very appreciative.

I'm located in Lafayette, Indiana.

-Justin

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: WTB Radiator to fit 91 Xr2
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 08:23:57 PM »

So, the gettin' place used to be GenesisAutoParts.com but it looks like that site isn't around anymore.

I am seeing this one on Amazon, it appears correct: www.amazon.com/HPR059-Aluminum-Radiator-Automatic-Transmission/dp/B00FG8GDDO

Not seeing any other hits for them at the moment, but I didn't go full google-fu on it
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Incubus828

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 01:41:01 PM »

That one looks good, but it does specify in the product description that its for the Auto trans.  Is there any real difference in radiators between the autos and manuals?  I couldn't think of any real reason as to why...but I just want to make sure so I don't order it and regret.

I found one on Rock Auto made by Spectra that is more expensive but looks like its measured the same( https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=996314&cc=1196636&jsn=422 ). This one also says that is for both so if its measured the same I would assume it would work.  Mostly just trying to cover my bases.  Look twice buy once, that's the saying right?  ;)

Thanks for your time and help, I definitely appreciate it.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 03:15:14 PM »

Those Spectra units seem pretty legit too. Stamped brass end tanks and all.

The difference in auto/manual is the transmission cooler installed inside the bottom end tank. It's a heat exchanger for the auto trans fluid.
You simply don't connect anything to it on a manual car. It won't hurt anything to have it there.
I think most aftermarket Capri radiators will have the cooler in it - it's cheaper for 'them' to make one design that will work for everything.

Incubus828

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 11:54:40 AM »

Sorry for the long wait on response.

I'm probably going to go with the radiator from amazon since its just a bit cheaper.  At this point we are already looking at quite a chunk of change to fix the car so every dollar I can save (with reason) counts  :P

Random question (and I can make a new post about it if I need to): is there a place to buy braided steel brake lines that fit the Capri's?  Or would the braided lines that I can buy for a Miata fit? One of the brake lines just went out (hooray) and I figured I would just go ahead and replace all of the lines while I was at it. I know that the braided lines are mostly for if we want to race the car but I feel like they might last a little longer and since my fiancé primarily drives the Xr2 I want to keep it as safe as I can.

belleaudb

• 92 XR2
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 11:21:16 AM »

This is the 3 row radiator I put in my 92 XR2.

You will NEVER overheat with this radiator:

https://www.oplautoparts.com/product-page/hpr059-ford-capri-89-95-3-row

Incubus828

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 12:56:31 PM »

Looks like that one and the one Rocket mentioned earlier are one and the same!  I'm pumped!

Quick question, does the stock cooling fan attach normally to this radiator or do I need to get a new one?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 02:10:58 PM »

Thats interesting. The Genesis radiators were $75 or so when they were around. Couldn't beat that deal. Thoses prices are more in line with what I would expect an aluminum radiator to go for.

There are small tabs & bosses welded to the radiator that the fan will bolt to.

Incubus828

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 03:44:07 PM »

Awesome! Anything special I need to know before I remove the old radiator?

Skunkwrkz

• 84' Porsche 928, 88' RX7 V8, 95 M3, 02 Celica GTS
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 08:06:49 PM »

Sorry for the long wait on response.

I'm probably going to go with the radiator from amazon since its just a bit cheaper.  At this point we are already looking at quite a chunk of change to fix the car so every dollar I can save (with reason) counts  :P

Random question (and I can make a new post about it if I need to): is there a place to buy braided steel brake lines that fit the Capri's?  Or would the braided lines that I can buy for a Miata fit? One of the brake lines just went out (hooray) and I figured I would just go ahead and replace all of the lines while I was at it. I know that the braided lines are mostly for if we want to race the car but I feel like they might last a little longer and since my fiancé primarily drives the Xr2 I want to keep it as safe as I can.

So this is a bit off topic, but I believe the SS lines from the Mazda 323 BF GTX, GT 1.6L Turbo 1985-1989 will fit. I have not bought them yet but since we shared so many parts with the BF 323's. My reasoning is that the GTX shares our 4 wheel disc setup and from the pics I have seen, they appear to be the same fittings and lines in the pics I have been able to find for reference. That said, I am finally going to order a set this weekend from OZ and find out. I will let you know.

KTM520EXC

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2022, 04:41:25 PM »

So I purchased the HPR059 radiator and am having fitment issues. The radiator is quite a bit thicker

than the stocker. My issues is the condenser hose line that goes pretty much against the radiator

in the engine bay. I can not get to fit due to this hose. How did any of you get it fitted.

Did you do an A/C delete ???

https://www.amazon.com/HPR059-Aluminum-Radiator-Automatic-Transmission/dp/B00FG8GDDO

Any help appreciated !!!

Thanks Michael !!!

9193CapriXR2

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1993 Capri XR2, 2006 Range Rover
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2023, 12:49:42 PM »

I know its an old topic...but if anyone else is needing a radiator this is the one I purchased for my 91 XR2.  VERY tight fit but it works!

https://www.radiatorexpress.com/product/radiator/mercury/1991/capri/xr2/16l-l4/221922/1196636