TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: clutch won't depress  (Read 2819 times)

Babycar Mom

• 1994 Mercury Capri
clutch won't depress
« on: September 29, 2018, 02:17:05 PM »

After washing my 94 Capri (Babycar), we jumped it since it has not been started in a month or so.  After it ran for a bit, I put it in reverse (clutch worked fine) to move it backward a few feet to the sun to dry.  After about an hour of running, we turned off the car, and when we tried to see if the battery had charged enough to restart, the clutch wouldn't depress.  It won't move toward the floor at all.  Any idea what happened and what could be the issue?  Thanks.

Gas

• 1993 Mercury Capri
Re: clutch won't depress
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 12:47:58 PM »

Crack the bleeder at the slave cylinder and push in the clutch. If you get fluid out, you probably have a seized slave. If not, crack the line loose at the master and push it in again. If the pedal goes down and you get fluid, the line in kinked or clogged. If the pedal still won't move, your master is seized. Hope this helps.

Babycar Mom

• 1994 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 01:40:53 PM »

Thanks.  Will have towed down to the mechanics, but hopefully the info will help them.  Don't know if related, but within 25 miles ago complete clutch replacement was done at another shop.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 01:44:09 PM by Babycar Mom »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 03:16:25 PM »

Could be related. If the throwout bearing was installed improperly, or something seized, it'll lock the pedal up because nothing can move. I hope that is not the case
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Babycar Mom

• 1994 Mercury Capri
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 12:52:04 PM »

Thanks.  Pending evaluation.  I ordered a no-squeal alt belt from Russ so we can do that at the same time. 

Babycar Mom

• 1994 Mercury Capri
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 11:35:27 AM »

Clutch Update:  Mechanic said fluid was contaminated (maybe rust) and they have flushed the lines/master cylinder, and clutch is working fine.  They drove her down the road, and she is doing fine, other than squealing like a pig, which they will repair today with the no-squeal belt I just received from Russ.  Next will be 2 new visors that I will order from Russ today.  Hopefully he still has them.  Thanks for all the feedback!