TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Alternator Adjuster Bracket is Cracked - Options  (Read 2084 times)

5570xr2

Alternator Adjuster Bracket is Cracked - Options
« on: September 15, 2018, 09:14:50 AM »

Don't know how but my alternator bracket has a crack in it.  Fatigue, over-tightening, who knows.  And my alternator is going bad so I want to replace it and the bracket at the same time.  Regarding the bracket, can I -

1. get it welded?
would that hold up or eventually fail again?

2. get a replacement?
Haven't had any luck finding one new or used.  No Capris in any junkyards near me.  Anyone have one?

3. would one from a Miata work?
I see some on eBay but they don't look quite the same

Suggestions?

Mark

1994 XR2
2003 Mazda Protege5

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Alternator Adjuster Bracket is Cracked - Options
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 10:32:49 PM »

If you find a competent welder, it can absolutely be welded and should not be an issue in the future. Yes they do fatigue and crack, I have one that cracked on me as well.
I want to make a new bracket with more meat, longer throw of adjustment, possibly with a proper tensioning mechanism instead of the "jam a tire iron in there and yank" method
I have waaaaay too many of these "i want to make" projects. hah
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"