TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: 91 Capri Alternator Belt  (Read 4222 times)

HunterCupp

• 1991 Mercury Capri
91 Capri Alternator Belt
« on: September 03, 2018, 08:01:24 PM »

Hello all,

I'm having a hard time with my Capri and it's causing me some headaches. I've just found this forum, so hopefully all goes well from here!

I know little to nothing about vehicles but have learned quite a bit from dealing with this little red car.

I got my Capri a little over two and a half months ago as my first car (I'm 18) and have used it every day since. However, just last week my alternator belt (v-belt, not serpentine) had torn and fallen off after a long trip. I'd only discovered so after my car began to putter and my battery died. I diagnosed the issue and had it taken to a local mechanic upon being entirely unable to figure out how to do the repair/replacement on my own and was charged a small fortune as the engine "had to be raised out" in order to be worked on. Not one week later the same thing happened, but this time I'd noticed a horrible burning rubber smell and white smoke coming from the hood of my Capri on the way home from work, though I made it home and was able to check under the hood. The replacement had torn, and I was left with a near dead battery.

I'm hoping to figure out what's wrong and possibly how to do the repair on my own as to avoid being charged another arm/leg and to gain some experience working with vehicles.

Thank you all in advance,

Hunter :D

blueamber

Re: 91 Capri Alternator Belt
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 12:36:29 AM »

These cars tend to eat alternator belts when non original alternators are installed.  and don't go back to that mechanic, he's a crook or ignorant, changing belts is a 1/2 hour job at most, and raising the engine is just stupid.  I'd let him know his repair failed though, he might get smart enough to fix it right on a warranty call.

If you drove it for 2 months OK, then maybe something broke.  The mounting bracket sometimes breaks that causes the belt to not line up properly and to smoke and break.

Also, do not drive the car with a missing belt, the water pump is run by that belt also, so there is an overheat potential there.

There is a Gates brand belt that some folks say won't ever break, I don' t know the number, search around this forum for it.

There are shop manuals on line to access, but replacing the belt is straightforward, remove the power steering belt first, just takes time to loosen bolts that you can't see very well with a socket set... good luck!

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 10:16:07 AM »

Gates 9360, Dayco 17360 helps with squeal when using replacement alternators.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

HunterCupp

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 01:06:13 PM »

Thanks for the responses!

Can someone direct me to a diagram or something that shows the locations of the bolts that need to be loosened? Two others (non-mechanics) took a look at my car for me and were unable to find any form of tensioner/bolts and are clueless as how you're supposed to do it. I'll probably be doing this on my own, so all information is useful.

Looking into getting the Gates branded belt once I know how to go about doing this correctly, thanks for the suggestion!

blueamber

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 11:16:40 PM »

I don't know of any diagram, but here is what I do...

The ribbed belt must come off first.  It runs the power steering pump and the AC compressor.
You must loosen the power steering pump to allow slack for that belt to come off.   

Eyeball the pump, see the pivot point for the pump, that bolt needs loosening.  Its long and odd looking, just behind the oil dip stick.  Don't remove, just loosen.

Looking at the pump from the front of the car, there are brackets to the right of the reservoir that are used to adjust the tension.  The bolt facing to the right holds the tension tight, loosen it.  The tensioner bolt is facing you, it needs to be turned enough for the belt to come off.  Push, pry on the pump toward the engine, and loosen that bolt until the belt will come off, with a little bit of difficulty.  If it aint perfect, get a new one.

The alternator must be loosened to get that belt off.  Again, there is a pivot point for alternator to rock back enough to remove the belt.  The bolt at the pivot point must be loosened.  You have to get to it from the underside of the engine.

The adjuster is a little tricky.  Look down at the alternator.  You see a bolt facing you, leave that one alone.  Below it, on the engine side, facing the engine, is the adjuster bolt.  Loosen it, shove the alternator closer to the engine, and the belt will come off.

With new belt on, I tighten the belt with a pry bar or big screwdriver between the alternator and the engine, pry until the belt is tight but not too tight.  Maybe the belt can be deflected with a push about 1/4 inch  Tighten that upper adjuster bolt.  If you like the tension, get under the car and tighten the pivot bolt.

Put the power steering pump belt on, rotate the adjuster bolt until you have good tension, then tighten the right hand facing bolt, then the pivot bolt behind the dip stick.

I've done this a dozen times or so, this is just from memory, if anyone sees an error, please post a correction or clarification.  Good luck...

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 09:47:00 AM »

Thank, I have to replace my power steering pump, now I know how....lol.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd