TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Power door locks  (Read 2350 times)

hairhook

Power door locks
« on: August 27, 2018, 12:43:57 PM »

Can anyone tell me how the Capri door locks are supposed to work? I can lock both doors from the driver's side, but the key only unlocks the driver's side door, not the passenger side.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Power door locks
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 03:25:35 PM »

I think the passenger door is supposed to mimic the driverside door when the system is working correctly
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

blueamber

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 12:55:16 AM »

You have a 91?
Do you mean the key does not work in the passenger door?  Bad lock.
Do you mean the key in the driver door locks but won't unlock passenger door?  Something is wrong.

Listen to see if the power lock in the passenger door makes any attempt to unlock the door.  If it tries (noise, some visible lock movement), pull the passenger door panel, you will see the power lock actuator.  Probably has rust, spray lube everything you can see...

If it does not try at all to unlock, you might have a bad switch connected to the driver door lock.

hairhook

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 11:44:10 AM »

The key works fine in both door locks but it will only lock the passenger side door when locking the driver's door, not unlock it. I took the driver's door panel off a few years ago looking for the key-switch, but I couldn't find it. I know it has to be there, but it seems to be buried somewhere behind the metal panels.