TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Considering a cold air intake  (Read 2251 times)

LGCapri

• 1992 Purple Capri XR2
Considering a cold air intake
« on: September 06, 2018, 01:02:57 PM »

I've recently found a website that sells Capri parts, one that most of you have probably found too. I saw cold air intake on the site and was going to buy one. Before I do, I wanted to consult the forums. Thoughts?

herdfan75

• 94 Capri XR2
Re: Considering a cold air intake
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 02:53:27 PM »

I think a cold air intake is always (well usually) a good idea especially if the air box is restrictive, but I wouldn't expect a huge difference in horsepower.  I will admit that my car does not have a CAI, so I don't have any personal knowledge specific to the Capri.  I've just never felt a noticeable difference on other cars (i.e. Mustangs).

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 03:56:32 PM »

XR2? what site? If it's who I'm thinking then you can probably build one yourself for a small fraction of the price

You can gain a lot by cutting or drilling some holes in the the bottom of the stock airbox. This doesn't cost anything and you can feel the difference in power. Beware you might start to hear the infamous moo-ing noise from the bypass valve (the stock airbox muffles this quite well)
A lot of folks get a VAF adapter and put a cone filter right on the VAF. I used to make an adapter but have not made them in years.
Overall flow will have a better benefit than cold air.

The XR2 has a ton of restrictions in the intake & exhaust, and opening these up makes a huge difference.

Here's an incomplete list:
Stock airbox & fender snorkel
Turbo inlet j-pipe
Stock intercooler
Stock intercooler piping & valvecover crossover pipe
Stock downpipe
Stock exhaust
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 06:02:20 PM »

Isn't there a thread where someone made one from maybe PVC to pickup air from under the bumper?  Sorry, I'm old.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 07:40:16 PM »

Hah. I did PVC intercooler piping waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day. I was stupid and broke and it made for a project, hah.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 09:18:09 PM »

Jack...no need to apologize for being mature. We spent a lot of years to get to this point
John