TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Who Can Build Me A Fresh XR-2 Performance Engine?  (Read 2429 times)

Surfnut

Who Can Build Me A Fresh XR-2 Performance Engine?
« on: July 12, 2018, 10:30:22 PM »

Hi Guys,

For quite a while now I've been kicking around the idea of swapping out my stock '91 XR-2 engine and transmission for a fresh performance built XR2 engine and trans. - but I need someone to build me a new motor first.

There's nothing wrong with my drive train but it's got about 115K miles on it and I sure wouldn't mind having a fresh, well-built engine.  I'm not looking for a 100% ultimate performance motor that's tuned to the last of its life....but I'd still like the power to be in the 180+horsepower range while keeping the engine extremely reliable (and hopefully very long lasting).

Does anyone have any recommendations as to who can build me a new, complete drive train? 

Or who to stay away from?

And obviously, how much might this long-standing daydream cost me?

I don't want to do any work building the new drive train - all I want to do is install the ready-to-go new motor into my car so I need a smart person to do the thinking and wrenching.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Dave

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Who Can Build Me A Fresh XR-2 Performance Engine?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 02:47:13 AM »

[whispers]go BP man.... [/whispers]

I'm not in tune with the engine building world. I think the BPPerformance guys are doing that thing right now. I'd bet there's some pretty established Miata engine builders out there too

That said, 115k is still pretty decent
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Surfnut

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 10:06:26 PM »

Thanks Rocket.  :)

Do you know if the BP series engines are dimensionally larger?  My stock XR-2 engine is VERY tight in my car.  I probably don't have 3/8" from the frame rail to the pulleys. 

Will a BP engine mate (easily) to an XR2 transmission?

Thank you,

Dave

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 05:17:34 PM »

Yes, the BP is longer, IIRC roughly an inch longer.

It will bolt to the XR2 transmission.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

87blacklantern

• 1991 xr2
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 01:47:38 AM »

So the BPt engine will bolt to the Capri tranny. Because I see them on eBay from the 323 gtx or what ever and they have the and tranny which we couldn't do anything with unless you did what you did. But if your saying that engine will bolt to our tranny that good news and much more promissing