Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Capri XR-2 89-94

External Head Gasket leak (I think)

(1/3) > >>

rls120:
I thought it was the coolant pipe behind the turbo, so I pulled it and the manifold.  Water is seeping out of the interface between the head and the block about two thirds of the way back (right around #3 cylinder).  I retorqued the head bolts (no joy), so I guess a head gasket job is in my future.  I've got several questions:

1.  Is this a common failure mode?  Anything else I should know about?

2.  The manual says I need to get #1 on TDC prior to pulling the timing belt:  Anyone know the procedure?  I know I can't get my finger down on top of the piston to feel when it gets there. . . . . :)

3.  I'll be checking the head with a straightedge once I get it off.  What are the odds I'll be needing to send it to a shop for milling?

The benefit of any of your experience will be appreciated!

boomingbeetle:
#1, I don’t think that is very common although I had a Jeep do this once.

#2, you can rotate the motor until the rotor under the distributor lines up with the #1 spark plug lead, or put a chopstick down into the spark plug hole (its longer and thinner than your finger).  Or you can look up the procedure for changing the timing belt and follow the pics/marks on the cam and crank pulleys. I think it’s the same as the Miata B6 procedure

#3, straightedge yes, but more importantly look for a crack. IMHO don’t pay to have it milled

WashiestSnake:
Can confirm it's exactly the same procedure as on a Miata B6. You can use a socket extension or like bloomingbettle said a  Chopstick. If you want a video guide look up TheCarPassionChannel on youtube, he has a good video showing you how to do it.

rls120:
Thanks for your ideas, guys!  I'll be tearing into it in the next few days (hope!).  I'll keep you updated.

Rocketman:
1. Not a common failure mode. I did have an oil leak in this same fashion though, I believe due to a budget no-name head gasket I used
2. The methods above are acceptable, but it is not strictly necessary. It is a non-interference engine. That said, it is easier to keep track of things. I use the Vee cut into the timing belt cog on the crank, it lines up with an indicator cast into the oil pump housing
3. Agree with looking for a crack, check with a straight edge. Look at the old head gasket and see if there is an apparent breach in the head gasket. If the head looks bad then do have it milled, the FSM has some specs for how much can be removed. Too much and it will screw with the cam timing and valve clearance. This shouldn't be an issue though

Good luck!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version