TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Trinity of issues.  (Read 2158 times)

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
Trinity of issues.
« on: May 28, 2018, 11:48:30 AM »

So, after momentarily tapping an aftermarket boost control switch into the button illumination + voltage wire to the headlight lift switch, I have no panel illumination, no cruise, and no horn. I have not dug into the issue deeply, but all the fuses are fine, and I've already replaced the dimmer switch. Next replacement is the panel light control module behind the speedo. Anything else I should try before I take an entire day going through the wiring diagrams and tracing wires on the car? Is there a fusible link I'm not seeing on that circuit?

pilotlars

• 1993 Mercury Capri
Re: Trinity of issues.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 01:28:21 PM »

You may have the same issue i'm having! Apparently that voodoo box in the dash controls everything!

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 10:21:04 PM »

The cruise/horn is one circuit that is feed power via the 20A STOP fuse and is separate from the panel illumination. The steering wheel cruise buttons receive 12V power from the horn relay signal wire when the horn is not in use.

The most common issue is the terminals on the horn relay (mounted on the side of the driverside headlight bucket) corrode away.

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 10:49:56 AM »

The cruise/horn is one circuit that is feed power via the 20A STOP fuse and is separate from the panel illumination. The steering wheel cruise buttons receive 12V power from the horn relay signal wire when the horn is not in use.

The most common issue is the terminals on the horn relay (mounted on the side of the driverside headlight bucket) corrode away.

Magically, The cruise started working again, but there must be excess slack somewhere in the system, as it takes a long time to engage the throttle cam in any meaningful way. I can feel something through the gas pedal as if it's trying to pull down the pedal as it should be, but it takes 3-5 seconds to start accelerating using ACCEL function.

Yeah, I had looked at that horn relay when I'd replaced the clogged radiator, and it wasn't doing too bad with corrosion. I cleaned it up with emery cloth and dielectric grease after.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 10:10:43 PM »

On the cruise box itself, the cable end is threaded with some jam nuts holding it in position, this can be adjusted to remove slack. You will need to remove the cruise box cover to do this, it should be apparent how much slack you can remove once it's open
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"