TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Turbo cuts off  (Read 4034 times)

Skip13

• 91 Capri
Turbo cuts off
« on: May 08, 2018, 11:41:15 PM »

I have a 91 XR-2 when I turn the AC on My Turbo stopped working any help with this problem

belleaudb

• 92 XR2
Re: Turbo cuts off
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 10:35:23 AM »

This question is very vague. We need more information to help you.

Are you saying that the car responds poorly when the a/c is on? Or that there is no turbo boost at all?

There is no electrical connection between the turbocharger system and the a/c system.

On my 92 the car performance is degraded a bit when the a/c is on, especially at low RPM. The a/c system consumes a lot of engine power, as well as a fairly high load on the electrical system, which causes a higher load on the engine from the alternator.

Estimate are that a/c compressor operation consumes anywhere from 4 to 11 horsepower. That doesnt include additional load from the alternator to run the compressor clutch, the blower moter, and both condenser cooling fans.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 09:24:28 PM »

The turbo won't just "shut off" like he says, we do need some more information

Does this happen when you're driving? Any other symptoms? What troubleshooting have you done?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Skip13

• 91 Capri
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 08:07:03 AM »

My turbo cut off when I turned on the A/C. No white smoke nothing just has no power now 1 gear lucky if I'll go 15 miles hr  3gear 30 no matter how far down I press on the accelerator

Gas

• 1993 Mercury Capri
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 11:00:01 AM »

I'm willing to bet your turbo is fine. When the AC compressor kicks on, it puts a strain on the engine. When was the last time you did a tune-up? If your plugs/wires/cap/rotor are worn out, any extra stress on your engine will exacerbate the symptoms of a worn out ignition system.

Skip13

• 91 Capri
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 06:45:51 PM »

I guess it will not spool up if you don't have power. So what really is my problem is no power can only get 10mph in 1st about 25 in second if lucky and 35 in 3rd after that unless it's down hill I'm in trouble

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 08:12:36 PM »

So, so with AC off, you can see boost on the gauge and feel the torque but with the AC on, you have almost no power?
If your turbo was blown you would still have ordinary bland NA power, the car would not be so torque-less as to top out at 10 so I wouldn’t think this is a turbo issue. I suspect a bad ground involving the coil and the stupid lugs they designed around the thermostat housing and the long bolt. Another thing to check would be the AC compressor itself. It could be bound up by too much PAG oil or overcharging.

Also check the grounds for the cooling fans that come on when AC is activated.
Check your plug gap as well. If the coil spark is weak it could be cutting out.

And it could also be a bad diode trio, maybe one diode down. I drove with that for quite a while without knowing it, only found out one was bad when during other beltside maintenance I had my alternator rebuilt.
Hope that helps.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

Skip13

• 91 Capri
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 09:29:41 AM »

There is no boost on gage the car just has no power no matter how hard I step on the gas peddle. Just will not get up and go limps along. Go up a hill in steadily drops speed no matter which gear its in. The A/C works just fine. Sitting there the engine revs up but in gear forget it

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 05:29:40 PM »

Go get a boost gauge at your local discount auto parts chain store or if you find a harbor freight, their $18 one is very nice, works well, and has any color backlighting you like at the push of a button. It is very hard to diagnose problems without data.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 07:17:11 PM »

It sounds like your car is running like garbage in general, with or without the turbo. Have you done a tune up recently? What troubleshooting have you done?

No boost gauge? No factory boost gauge on the gauge cluster?

It's not normal for the XR2 to struggle up a hill even without the turbo's help
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Skip13

• 91 Capri
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 07:48:02 AM »

Yes just had a water pump timing belt and tune up. I complained to them that it was not cutting in the turbo they checked all that and said it was working right. I hit a big bump one day and it worked great after that. Then one day I was riding around and turn on the A/C and that's when my problem started. Since then no matter how hard I step un the gas peddle it just creeps up and then bogs down

Skip13

• 91 Capri
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 07:50:46 AM »

Someone said my wastegate could be stuck open. Would that be my problem. The 91 shop manual sure doesn't help me.

blueamber

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 08:41:16 AM »

Get the timing checked.  Search 'short nosed crank' for this issue with this engine.

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 10:30:11 AM »

I didn’t think of that, but it is a high probability. Timing retarded acts just like that. Could be a sloppy distributor as well.
Although, that bit about hitting bumps and A/C really point to bad electrical connections. Check all grounds, clean them all up, report back after that. There are a number of grounds that affect the engine, do a search on teamcapri to find all you can. Like modern healthcare, with a Capri, you are your own best advocate- you must research this stuff yourself. There just aren’t any shops that would know about that car anymore.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:38:50 AM by SHOwn »
R. Powell

Skip13

• 91 Capri
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 07:56:42 AM »

Thanks all to the reply's