TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: No power to Ecm  (Read 2066 times)

jman2030

• 1991 Mercury Capri XR2
No power to Ecm
« on: May 07, 2018, 04:33:19 PM »

Not getting any power to the ECM with the key on. So tested for power using a test light to vpower on the diagnostic connector to the positive battery terminal. When I did that the ECM powered up. Though the test light was dimly flashing. The check engine light was on as well with the key on. But when I disconnected to the test light the check engine light went out. Also I did check the vpower connector at the ECM unplugged of course. With a test light at a good ground koeoff no power from that wire. Also the keep alive wire had power to it like it should. Any ideas as to where to start to test first. And I've already installed a new ignition switch thinking that was the problem.

Also all fuses tested good. None have popped. I cleaned all of the main wiring harness connectors with a industrial electric connector cleaner. And what is the real hair pulling for me. Is all I did was install a new clutch and that is when this problem happened.

Has anyone else have this happen to them and what was the underlying cause?

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: No power to Ecm
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 08:55:01 PM »

Have you tried doing the grounds around the transmission and the back of the engine? If I remember you have to remove a few to get the tranny out when doing the clutch.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 01:29:11 AM »

Check the fusebox in front of the driverside strut tower. And unplug and clean all the connections underneath it.

Something may have been disturbed when you did the clutch. There's some major wiring in there that I have seen have a bad/intermittent connection before.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 10:34:43 AM »

Sounds like an issue related to the main injection relay located on the driverside fender wall.

Coming out of this relay will be a short pigtail with a round 6 pin plug. With your test light, check for voltage on two blue wires. These go to the injection fuse and should have voltage.

Next turn the ignition switch on and test the black/white wire's pin(ignition switch) for  voltage, it's  next to the black wire pin(ground). Also verify the ground wire is good. These wires turn the relay on.

On the opposite corner of the plug will be another black/white wire and a yellow/green wire(relay outputs). When the relay is on, both of these should have voltage then too.

The yellow/green wire from the relay turns the ecm on and the black/white wire turns the distributor on.

jman2030

• 1991 Mercury Capri XR2
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 08:44:39 PM »

Update. Found the problem. It ended up being a single power wire in the 3 pin green connector. The terminal decayed into dust when it got moved around during the clutch replacement. To everyone who replied to this thread THANK YOU VERY MUCH.