TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Rear tire uneven wear  (Read 5337 times)

Stickshifter6

• 1993 Capri 5 Speed 1994 Capri 5 Speed
Rear tire uneven wear
« on: May 02, 2018, 09:47:16 PM »

The outside of my rear passenger tire has a major amount of wear. It's so bad now it is wore down to the secondary layer of rubber. I got an alignment and was hoping it would fix the issue. There was adjustments made but about a month later I realized the tire was still wearing unevenly. I took it in and got another alignment under warrantee. The shop showed that the rear camber was out of adjustment but the shop said there is no camber adjustment on the rear. I'm not sure what else would be causing this uneven wear or how I'd fix it. I just ordered two new rear tires but don't want to trash them with uneven wear! Help please!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:52:27 PM by Stickshifter6 »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Rear tire uneven wear
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 02:47:08 AM »

Did you get a 4-wheel alignment?
What is the condition of the trailing arm bushing at the bottom of the strut?
Does the strut appear bent?

There might not be a camber adjustment but the shop could have installed a camber bolt to help if it's that far out
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 03:00:34 PM »

You may not be able to adjust the camber, but like Rocket said they can order a camber correcting bolt, we do that all the time at my shop. I would have them check the bushings in the rear too, if they're old and cracked things will sag more then they should. How does the car handle, is it pulling at all?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 03:02:41 PM by WashiestSnake »
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

Stickshifter6

• 1993 Capri 5 Speed 1994 Capri 5 Speed
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 07:37:22 PM »

Thanks for the replies, the trailing arm bushing looks to be in good condition and the strut don't look bent. I did notice that the strut is different from the drivers side as well as the trailing arm. The trailing arm has a ford part number on it but is is square steel where as the other side has the c-channel style. My 94 parts car has the c-channel style on both sides so I imagine this is what came on our cars from the factory. When I got an alignment I got all 4 corners aligned.