TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: ..One for a Capri Guru  (Read 3215 times)

NiteLord

• 91Cap,94Cap,86FieroGT,94G.C
..One for a Capri Guru
« on: April 05, 2018, 04:57:40 PM »

....Car ran great for the past 10 years but shut down at 60 mph on the Highway and would not restart, no Tach jump. I replaced the distributor and after many tries she restarted and I drove her around, when I got back Home I replaced the New Distributor with the Old one to see if that was the problem, the car started right up with the Old one and ran fine for a few days,. than quit again. I again replaced the Distributor with the New one and finally got her to start... left her run for around 10 minutes, as soon as I sat down in the seat she shut off. I switched Distributors again but no luck. I checked the wiring and the distributor is receiving 12.6 Volts and the coil is showing 12.6 volts. I returned the New Distributor for another New one and still no start...the ECU was reading Code#1 and Code#25 prior to this whole mess, now it's just reading Code#25....Maybe a bad wiring harness..??..Maybe a bad ECU..??...any thoughts would be appreciated..I might also add that when turning over the voltage in the blk/wh stripped wire going into the coil drops from 12.6v to 10.36v...the yl/bl striped wire reads .33 volts...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 05:11:16 PM by NiteLord »

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
Re: ..One for a Capri Guru
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 11:23:58 PM »

Not that I have enough relevant experience to help much, but have you cleaned up all the grounds? Other drivers have reported hosts of odd ball problems associated with bad grounding. That's all I got. Otherwise someone who knows all about igniters should chime in.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

NiteLord

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 11:04:48 AM »

...yep..I have already done ALL the Ground Wire cleaning and let me tell you, these cars have more ground wires than ANY car that I have ever owned...   

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 12:45:43 PM »

Well, sounds like it isn't the easy stuff. My best recommendation would be to search this site for every post on igniter, or ignition module, or distributor. Other than those ideas, you are just going to have to wait for someone who has experience with such things. I have had way more than my share of Capri troubles, but the symptoms you describe and distributor problems are not on that list so far...

Wish I could help.
Did you read this whole thread on a guy who also had code #25?
http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php/topic,3655.msg128865.html#msg128865
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 12:56:03 PM by SHOwn »
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 02:53:28 PM »

My experience with new distributors is not a good one..5th one wasn't a charm either, ended up going to autozone for a new igniter (with warranty) and for more than a year now No issues . I have suggested to another member to check wiring behind the radiator tank on drivers side front fender, especially the blue one and it worked for them. It was suggested to me a couple years back so I pass it on..didn't help my issue at the time but may have saved a headache later. That whole cluster behind there can get really nasty, check them all. Keep us posted !!

NiteLord

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 07:55:33 PM »

...yep, Pappy I already have done that..I have a 93 Parts Car that I was going to transfer  the wiring harness from to the 94 but obviously they decided to change the set up in 1994...The 1994 has much less wiring in the harness and the routing of the harness(s)
 are different..