Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Capri N/A 89-94

Oil Gauge Problems

(1/4) > >>

WashiestSnake:
Alright so last night I'm on my way home I check the oil pressure garage and it's reading very low, I get to my mechanics shop and check the oil it's nearly half full.I refilled it with semi-synthetic 5w30 1.25Qs and put in on the hoist to check where the leak is coming from. Looks to be the back of the engine, up high. I today replaced the valve cover gasket and repainted it. Started the car up no leaks, oil pressure was good/high again for about 5 minutes on my drive home from my shop. Got home and it steadily was going down to when at idle it was just over the red line. I got out and checked the oil it was still full. The car drove perfectly fine but I'm scared that it might have a problem what do you guys think what should I check? When im driving and about 3-4k rpm it's around middle but it declines.

Rocketman:
Normal oil pressure behavior (for all engines):

Pressure is very high when the engine is cold and oil viscosity is high
Pressure is lower at idle, the pump runs on the crankshaft, more revs = more oil = more pressure
Pressure will drop when engine is hot and oil viscosity is lower

That being said, the Capri oil gauges are notoriously unreliable. Some issues seem to be with bad engine grounds, others seem to be with bad/worn out OPSU.
There's a handful of discussions here on this subject.
I personally don't trust what the gauge says in any of my Capris. If the oil pressure drops dangerously low the HLAs will start to clack and you'll have an audible warning

greywolf27030:
I noticed that the hole in the block for the water going to the TB was very small, maybe 1/8"D, is the hole for the oil pressure sender small like that and would drilling them out be a good idea.  Always opened up drain back holes of V8's when rebuilding them, especially Ford's.

Jack Byrd

WashiestSnake:

--- Quote from: Rocketman on March 31, 2018, 05:42:48 PM ---Normal oil pressure behavior (for all engines):

Pressure is very high when the engine is cold and oil viscosity is high
Pressure is lower at idle, the pump runs on the crankshaft, more revs = more oil = more pressure
Pressure will drop when engine is hot and oil viscosity is lower

That being said, the Capri oil gauges are notoriously unreliable. Some issues seem to be with bad engine grounds, others seem to be with bad/worn out OPSU.
There's a handful of discussions here on this subject.
I personally don't trust what the gauge says in any of my Capris. If the oil pressure drops dangerously low the HLAs will start to clack and you'll have an audible warning

--- End quote ---
Normally my oil pressure is nearly twice as high even while warm and usually will stay at 50% on idle instead of nearly red. That's what had me concerned. I'm aware of oil being thicker when it's cold but I started it up a half a hour ago and it's still just above the redline at 2000rpm. Even on FOT it's barely increasing. I hear no valve clatter or anything and the car felt normal. I'm probably gonna replace the oil pressure sender with the Miata one and hopefully that fixes my problem.

SHOwn:
Before you start running for parts gave you tried replacing the oil filter?  Maybe it is a bit plugged.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version