TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Nitrous  (Read 6049 times)

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
Nitrous
« on: March 23, 2018, 11:28:13 AM »

Who has nitrous on their car?

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
Re: Nitrous
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 01:50:15 PM »

Bueller

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
Re: Nitrous
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 04:54:00 PM »

I had a nitrous setup installed years ago after the engine swap. It was a simple dry system with a 5Lb tank in the trunk and a 35hp jet installed on the underside of the intake pipe. I tried a 50hp jet, but the stock F series clutch would start slipping around 180 hp.

To control it, I was able to tap off the BP's TPS's WOT switch and the VIKS solenoid signal(activates at 4500 RPM) with a spare AC switch to enable/disable it. So when the switch was on, the gas pedal floored, and the RPMs were over 4500 it would activate a relay that operated 2 brass valves. A normally closed valve to flow NOS and a normally open valve to block the return fuel line increase the fuel pressure for fuel enrichment. Definitely not the preferred way to do it, but it did work.

The biggest issue was the small 5 LB tank and I didn't check with my local gas supplier prior to buying my setup. What I found out was my gas supplier charged a flat $25 tank servicing fee plus the cost of the gas to fill it.  So it cost $38 to fill a 5 LB tank, while a 10 LB tank would have cost about $49 to refill.

So before you dive into a NOS setup check to see how your local gas supplier handles refilling. Some places charge a flat rate to refill tanks, some will only refill a tank if you bought it from them, and others will lease tanks that you just swap out when empty for a flat fee.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 04:57:08 PM by chrispoe »