TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: For what it's worth  (Read 5418 times)

Kirk

For what it's worth
« on: November 16, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »

My name is Kirk and a few weeks ago I picked up a Red 91 XR2 complete with hard top. I had a 20 mile drive to get her home. About a mile from home it started running real rough but I made it home. I joined this forum to review all thoughts and ideas you folks have had on rough running Capri's in the past. So I starting trying some of these ideas. I put new plug wires on, new plugs in it, checked spark, checked timing belt alignment, I did the B12 Chemtool thing and the Seafoam thing. I checked compression which was good. A friend (mechanic for 26 years) came over to listen to it run and he said it sound like it may be out of time. We checked timing again, we looked over the Dist. Cap still no clue. He was about to run home a fetch him Injector pulse light to check injector pulse when he discoverd the problem. The large wire harnes the houses the injector wires and who know what other wires was looped down low and was rubbing on the left CV axle. Several wires were completly severed in two.Turns out number 2 and number 4 had no injector pulse. We pulled the battery out of the way so we could repair the damaged wires and now this 91 XR2 screams down the road again. This is the second car I fixed with chewed up wires. I just thought I would share this story so if you have tried everything don't forget to check the harnesses.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
For what it's worth
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »

i work on the F-16 for a living and we have the oldest aircraft in the USAF inventory for that plane..Wiring ends up being the fix a lot. Once all the "normal" things are exhausted shooting wires is always a good place to start.

thanks for the incite
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Kirk

For what it's worth
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »

Gostlrs do you work at Davis-Monthan AFB?

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
For what it's worth
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »

DM been closed for years...

Luke....Soon to be home of the F-35
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

icurunnin

For what it's worth
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 06:45:00 AM »

Great group of fellas around here to help you out. Glad you figured out the problem.

Just be prepared to buy a Clutch if you start runnin more boost and plan to mod it.
3 92 Galant VR-4\\\'s = sold
89 I-Mark RS = sold
91 Impulse RS = sold
92 Saturn SL2 turbo = burned (haters)
3 95 TSI AWD talons = sold
93 TSI AWD talon = sold
89 Colt GT = sold
91 Capri XR2 = sold

yeah, there\\\'s more....

I have commitment issue\\\'s with cars

kelly270

• http://na
For what it's worth
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »

hey ghost-
thats what I do also, I manufacture parts and pieces for the F35, along with boeing, KIA, ect. Cool stuff, coming froma carpenter background it is interesting. Its amazing what the reccession has done for alot of people, placoing them in different fields of work! Tommorrow I'll be cutting a set of fuel tanks and some other misc. parts for the F35.

heres a coin that lockeed presented us with.
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

kelly270

For what it's worth
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »

Kirk-
I also had touble with my red XR2 running rough and traced it down to an injector wire! Luckily it was trhe only one we could see from the top looking down!
Good luck with your new car, I recently did a bunch of upgrades and am now pushing around 14 pounds of boost! quite a bit of differance.

Have fun and keep her between the lines.

kelly
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

yen

For what it's worth
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 11:36:00 PM »

If you guys aren't trolling, coolest off topic posts in any thread, ever!
1990 Ford Capri
1.6L SOHC

GregZ

For what it's worth
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »

icu, i went cheap and bought a clutch for autozone. when im pushing 16 psi out of the tbird hybrid on my freshly built low compression motor im sure it will slip, but i just ran out of money. ill be sure to let you guys know how it goes.
91 xr2 (SOLD)
94 Turbo\\\'d Miata (Sold)
1997 Lifted Jeep Cherokee (Sold)
2002 Subaru Wrx - Current DD

icurunnin

For what it's worth
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »

Funny you say that. I just ordered one from there and went with their high torque pressure plate and performance fricition disc. I have yet to rip the old one out since we are in the process of buying another house.

I figured I would go with the best one they have and get a lifetime warranty with it so I can abuse the clutch all I want.

Just my .02
89 I-Mark RS = sold
91 Impulse RS = sold
93 TSI AWD talon = sold
89 Colt GT = sold
91 Capri XR2 = sold

kelly270

For what it's worth
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »

My car  just got outfitted with a new clutch before I bought it, and boosted it, makes me wonder how long it will last. Good input on the lifetime warrenty, though! I spent three hours in a cold garage last night replacing the front struts and adjusting the valves on my storm, good dasmn thing cuase I just drove it around 160 miles in one of the worst storms I've seen in awhile! My XR2 sits quietly under the cover, waiting for a sunny day!
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

GregZ

For what it's worth
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 06:05:00 AM »

cost you a little over 200 right. bet we bought the same one. I have no clue how they can lifetime warranty those, ha ill probably be back there in a few monthes for a new one.
91 xr2 (SOLD)
94 Turbo\\\'d Miata (Sold)
1997 Lifted Jeep Cherokee (Sold)
2002 Subaru Wrx - Current DD

icurunnin

For what it's worth
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »

Yeah $239 I believe. Kelly my clutch was just replaced before I bought mine and it held up goof till I cranked the boost up on it.

Can't wait to get the new clutch in and start driving it again. It has sat for over. Week in the garage being neglected.
89 I-Mark RS = sold
91 Impulse RS = sold
93 TSI AWD talon = sold
89 Colt GT = sold
91 Capri XR2 = sold

Kirk

For what it's worth
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »

Anybody have any ideas on how to get tiny door dings out of my doors and rear quarters? Any tricks to it?

blue93

For what it's worth
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »

Y'know, I've never tried this, but someone told me if you heat the surface with a blow dryer and apply dry ice that it returns to its original shape.

It's been so long since I heard about it, I may have the order wrong, but I think you heat it first.

Maybe somebody else here has heard about it.

Mark
Stratosphere Blue '93 NA 5sp
Dynamic White '94 XR2
Radiant Red '90 LeBaron GT Vert 6 cyl 5sp and it’s FOR SALE NOW!
Frosty White '06 Vibe 5sp
Mark
Stratosphere Blue \\\'93 NA 5sp
Dynamic White \\\'94 XR2
Camellia Red Pearl \\\'10 Subaru Forester 5sp
Pages: [1] 2