TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: New to Team Capri, and Capri's in general  (Read 2905 times)

Int_Doggo

• 91 Capri - 5 Speed
New to Team Capri, and Capri's in general
« on: January 18, 2018, 06:19:13 PM »

Hey all!

My name is Seth and I recently bought a 1991 White Mercury Capri 5 Speed N/A.

Ever since he bought it about 6 months ago, I've fallen in love with it and learned a good bit about them, and know that I've had the chance to buy it, I'd like to get more situated with the forum and a tad more up to speed with a few things about them.

First off, can anyone attest to the reliability at high mileage,

and second off, Does anyone know where to get the stock white paint? The front and rear bumpers are a little chipped, so I'd like to get them resprayed.

I look forward to being on the forums!
~ My Capri ~
1991 Mercury Capri N/A
5 Speed Manual
White Soft top, No Hard top
Xr2 Spoiler added

Current Mileage: 246,436

Please message me if you can source a rebuild
kit that would work with the n/a engine.

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
Re: New to Team Capri, and Capri's in general
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 08:42:48 PM »

Welcome to the forum Seth! You will find a number of higher milage car owners here and n/a's seem to do well. Most Capris have spent some winters stored which can have either a preserving affect on them or it might actually harm some parts if not done properly. Quite a few of them are still around with lower than average miles, and yes some of the people I've talked to here and on the yahoo groups have run capris well into the 200k range.

I think the n/a's are better suited for the higher milage - turbocharging requires special care and stresses engines to their limits, so there seem to be not as many high mile ones around.

As for the paint question, your car will have a label on the door jamb that indicates the tire size, but will also have paint codes on it. You can take a pic of it with a cell phone and bring it to a body shop supply store and they can mix it for you. I usually prefer to bring the gas door in as well so they can dial the mix in for the best match.

However, you will find that bumpers have unique challenges, being ABS plastic or urethane, and the various primers, hardeners, reducers and flex agents can really add up price wise. Unless you are not to concerned with doing a professional looking job you will likely find it less expensive to have a pro shoot the bumpers. Most of us that do small jobs every once in a while find the only way it pays off is to buy certain materials is in bulk, like - I always try to buy my primer in gallons and keep it in the house during the winter to prevent freezing.

Anyway, if you know anyone who sprays auto paint, they may have leftover materials to do much of the job and might be willing to do a side job for a little less than a shop might quote you.

Hope you enjoy your Capri.
Ron
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 11:22:27 PM »

Now that they're an older car, some can be a bit of a chore to keep up with maintenance on. But generally they're pretty reliable, generally easy to work on minus a few things (brake rotors require a bearing job) If you have a Capri that was well taken care of in its previous life you should be in good shape.

Acquaint yourself with some common issues so you can readily ID the problem and prevent further damage:
Alternator / water pump belts (dont drive it any further if it breaks! battery/charge light will come on)
Ignitor module failures (will shut off and not restart when hot)
What else? lol

This forum is one of the best resources for capri owners, there is a wealth of knowledge here! Welcome!
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Int_Doggo

• 91 Capri - 5 Speed
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 04:16:56 PM »

Thanks for the replies!

So for reference, the Capri I have has 245,000 Miles, and although it still runs absolutely perfect, I am looking at different
rebuild kits/replacement b6's... just to prepare for the inevitable.
The only real thing I'm worried about is the engine really, the water pump, timing belt, alternator, and distributor are all brand new, I just don't like seeing such a high mileage when I start something that is my daily driver.

As for the bumpers, I do have a close friend that owns a body shop. Thanks for the tip for the paint codes, I'll probably end up getting them sprayed pretty soon, plus I have the XR2 spoiler that I'm probably going to put on as well.

Thanks for the friendly responses!

~ My Capri ~
1991 Mercury Capri N/A
5 Speed Manual
White Soft top, No Hard top
Xr2 Spoiler added

Current Mileage: 246,436

Please message me if you can source a rebuild
kit that would work with the n/a engine.

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 01:10:15 AM »

Sorry, disregard the tire size label, look at the label on the driver door frame, that's the paint and interior code label. I just took a look at mine and remembered that.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.