TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Axle options  (Read 3325 times)

Jhorst02

• 1992 XR2. 1994 XR2
Axle options
« on: January 12, 2018, 12:05:16 PM »

Where can I find a P/S axle for a 1994 XR2? Are the axles the same as the N/A? I've searched for the XR2 and get results but then I check fitment then the description say Automatic which was not an option for XR2 as far as I know.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I know i can probably replace the boot but then I need to have to find the joints and boot. So a complete axle would be cheaper in the long run. Thanks for the help.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Axle options
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 01:27:00 AM »

They are not the same as the N/A.
Most parts stores should be able to get one for you. The XR2 axles are the same from 91-94

Here's one Rockauto listing with a correct photo for reference:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3854817&cc=1196704&jsn=372

There's an intermediate shaft that reaches from the transmission to the back of the block which this axle attaches to, this is not available but it rarely needs service
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 01:34:58 PM »

Does anyone have an experience with these axles?  I hear a lot on the facebook group that replacement axles don't hold up on our capri's.  I have no first hand knowledge, so looking for advice before ordering.

thanks...John
John

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 09:06:44 PM »

So I have used some aftermarket axles, with no issues, but this was years ago.

The axle complaints on the Facebook group that I have seen have all come from Festiva guys. This is because the way they mount their drivetrains, it is way out of line with the front wheels, and causes their axles to bend at a fair angle at rest.

The XR2 OEM inner joint is a Constant Velocity joint that permits a fair bit of movement. The currently available aftermarket style appear to be a tri-pot inner (despite some listings claiming otherwise?) and these appear to have a little less leeway with movement. In a Festiva application they bind or wear out quickly because of this.

So the Festiva guys are all about OEM axles, cause it's their only real option with the ridiculous way they have to set them up.

This should not be an issue on the Capri as our axles are set pretty much straight from the factory. However I don't have experience with any of the newer aftermarket axles, I've been lucky that I have not have to replace one in years. But hopefully this offers some context to the axle complaints you've been seeing.

jdp

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 09:50:50 PM »

Thanks Rocketman. That explanation was exactly what I wanted to have a better understanding of the issue. I need to replace the passenger side axle on my 94 xr2. I am putting new struts on it, but not altering the stance at all,so I should not see the issue the Festiva guys fuss about. I also don't beat or race my cars, just put down the top and cruise with an occasional run through the gears. Thanks for your help.

John
John

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 07:29:06 AM »

Us old men aren't too hard on our classic cars.....lol

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 01:27:50 PM »

I recently bought a set of aftermarket XR2 axles from Rockauto for my KL swap. The first thing I did was pull the inner joint's boots back off and they do not have tri-pot style inner joints. They are the ball plunge style just like OEM.

jdp

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 09:31:02 PM »

Christie.....fantastic feedback. Thank you!

John
John

jdp

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 09:32:59 PM »

Greywolf....I am right there with you buddy!
John

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 01:12:10 AM »

I recently bought a set of aftermarket XR2 axles from Rockauto for my KL swap. The first thing I did was pull the inner joint's boots back off and they do not have tri-pot style inner joints. They are the ball plunge style just like OEM.

Good info. How are you tackling the axle issues with the V6 swap? How far along are you?