TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Water in the trunk  (Read 5927 times)

Zmbzy

• Ghost
    • 93 NA Capri
Water in the trunk
« on: January 10, 2018, 01:53:55 PM »

We got a "heat wave" in Chicago and all of the snow melted. Normally a good thing, but I found water on the inside of my trunk lid, dripping down onto the electronics I had stored in there. It was no more than 50mL of water, so it was more frustrating than harmful, but there shouldn't be water in the trunk

The weather stripping looks good and I haven't seen rust holes in the lower sections of the trunk, is there any other common areas where water could sneak in?

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
Re: Water in the trunk
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 10:07:40 PM »

Condensation? 
John

Trackerrrr

• 1991 BMW 525I, 1991 Capri N/A, 2011 Kia Sedona
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 12:53:05 AM »

Easy way to check would be to have a buddy run a garden hose over the top and trunk while you use a flashlight to check for leaks thru the open rear seat back. You can also look for water stains where the weatherstrip attached to the body.
Chris
Retired Air Force MSgt

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 08:11:57 AM »

was there snow laying on the trunk lid when the heat wave hit?  If the temperature rose quickly, warmer air in the trunk against the metal trunk lid with the snow on top can cause condensation.  I ran into this with my truck roof occasionally here in NC when we get a big temperature swing after a snow (which does not happen frequently).  I would definitely do the hose test that Trackerrrr recommended to rule out seal leak though.
John

Zmbzy

• Ghost
    • 93 NA Capri
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 09:11:36 PM »

Oh man, I didn't even consider condensation, what a relief! It was 28 degrees with snow on it the day before, and then 50 with rain the next day when I found the water
My hardtop is on (which also leaks, but that's another story), so I can't access the back seat/trunk tunnel to check right now

Baumann 75

• 91 Capri XR2, 91 Capri base model
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 11:47:04 PM »

Check the third brake light gasket.