TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Newbie Questions  (Read 4580 times)

1992Capri

Newbie Questions
« on: March 12, 2019, 09:15:31 PM »

Hey Guys. 1992 Mercury Capri M/ANew to the forum so still figuring out the process of navigating and searching for how to's. Couple questions I want/need answered though for this week hopefully.
Headlights! Yes. 1 headlight is up and 1 is down. Hitting the headlight up/down switch and/or the light switch doesnt move them at all. The drivers side was up when I bought it but during a cleaning process, I accidentally hit the switch and it went down slowly..  Advice? Links on how to remove the headlights access the motors to clean them? Can I disconnect the motor and leave the lights up?

Second the oil pressure gauge! I read and saw that it's a common issue and doesnt like to work alot. (Sigh of relief). The gauge was basically all the way down a few days ago, but today it fluctuated from top to bottom. Is this something to be concerned with? Is there an easy fix?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 10:58:52 AM »

Welcome to the group and good luck with these good little cars.  There is a knob at the light that you can turn to raise and lower the lights manually.  Removing them and cleaning the contacts isn't really that difficult.  A little steel wool on the contacts and you'll probably be good to go.  Good luck with the search feature.  Sorry I don't have any pics to help.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

blueamber

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 11:48:11 PM »

Yeah, switch the headlights up, and move them manually with that knob.

Cleaning is put into up position, remove the top plate (4 screws) side bezel (4 screws), unplug headlight, unplug motor, remove entire assembly (4 bolts, some things get in the way of your wrench, you'll see), unbolt motor crank (that makes everything go up and down), unbolt motor (3 bolts?), unscrew motor plate (4 screws?), you will then see the mess.  Clean it until the fingers are shiny and the round copper plate looks like copper).  I shoot a little waterproof grease on the plate.  Put motor back together then plug in and test the motor, if OK then put it all together (make sure the motor crank is installed in the headlight up position).

Those oil senders do go bad, heat eventually kills the internal electronics, new ones cost over a hundred, check your connector, make sure its clean and not rusted...

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 09:16:12 AM »

I'm guessing you've done this more than the one time I did....lol

Jack Byrd