TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Max psi the engine will take?  (Read 2754 times)

ShadetreeMechanic13

• 91 mercury capri xr2
Max psi the engine will take?
« on: October 28, 2017, 08:00:16 AM »

Wanting to know the max psi the engine can handle? I would like to put a bigger turbo on my 91 xr2.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Max psi the engine will take?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 08:07:20 AM »

Another NC Capri.  Love it.  That would depend on how it's built.  BP Performance in Florida goes to 20 or 22 PSI.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 02:06:04 PM »

Also depends on the turbo. "PSI" is only part of the equation--you also need to know the compressor's specs. 7 PSI on the stock turbo is not the same amount of boost as 7 PSI on, say, a Thunderbird turbo.

There's some good information here:
http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php/topic,2867.0.html

rsharry

• Capri and Capri XR2
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 05:41:51 PM »

The engine is quit good. I put 23psi with garrett gt28rs on my engine. STOCK INTERNALS. Only another ecu, (stock ecu with dynotuned fuel table).bigger injector, fuel pressur regulatorand 6 paddel sinterclutch. Also bigger intercooler and decat exhaust system.No problems

But more important than the boost level is the ignition timing. With the original distributer you can not put the ignition timing with that boost level in an incredibal condition. If you want to take a ecu like megasquirt you have to put in better rods ands pistons to use harder ignition timing.

In the future i will go with megasquirt and electronic ignition system. I will begin with around 16psi of boost with tuning.