TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Transmission Solenoid Replacement  (Read 2163 times)

buffyisveryfuzzy

• 1991 Capri and a 2007 Impala
Transmission Solenoid Replacement
« on: October 20, 2017, 03:21:52 PM »

Hello,

I own a 91’ with 113,000 on the clock that I picked up for $600 a few months ago. I bought it after it had been sitting for about 2 years in the previous owner’s garage. About a month after bringing it home I had ALL the fluids flushed and replaced and it has greatly improved the performance of the vehicle, however the transmission is still slipping/skipping 2nd gear from time to time. If I accelerate hard it will stay in 1st until the redline, wait a minute until it realizes that 2nd isn’t cooperating, then 3rd takes over. Sometimes however this isn’t the case and when 2nd gear does engage properly it feels much less deadly. It also seems to have very lazy shifts. What I mean by that is not so much delayed shifting, but rather slow shifting from gear to gear, as if the RPM’s are moaning from gear to gear vs shifting normally; if that makes sense. That symptom might just be the engine revving down from 1st to 3rd however.

Anyways, after a little research I have a theory that since the transmission isn’t leaking, shifting hard, shifting randomly, or popping out of gear, that the problem may actually be the shift solenoids. They may have gummed up after sitting for years before I bought it, and the tranny fluid that they took out during the flushing looked like milk. Does anybody on this forum happen to have a diagram of the Automatic Transmission for this vehicle and has anybody ever replaced the solenoids before. The car is almost mint and if I can fix the lazy shifting it would be a vehicle worth fixing up and taking to shows.

Thank You!  :D

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 03:45:53 PM by buffyisveryfuzzy »

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: Transmission Solenoid Replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 05:26:24 PM »

The Auto Transmission it F-4EAT, I could possible dig up some diagrams from my workshop manual but I'm not sure how good they might be as the older manuals aren't as indepth.

Update: Currently can't upload anything as my manual is in my car, and my car currently is in the shoo getting a full service. Sorry
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 11:18:46 PM by WashiestSnake »
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)