TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Console options and other interior bits  (Read 3717 times)

Zmbzy

• Ghost
    • 93 NA Capri
Console options and other interior bits
« on: November 14, 2017, 05:16:19 PM »

I'm loving my 93 Capri so far, it's a squirrely little go-cart, but this might be the worst interior I've ever experienced. I'm sure that I'm not the first to notice this, but I need to change it ASAP. Before I set aside a few bucks and a weekend for real seats and replacing the terrible stereo the previous owner installed, what options are there to put in a real center console? And is there anything I can do about the stock rear view mirror blocking so much of my windshield, besides just removing it?

Also, if any other tall people have any quality of life mods to recommend, I'd love to hear about it. I'm ~6'2" and 200lbs and sitting in my car gets uncomfortable  :-\

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: Console options and other interior bits
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 01:40:55 AM »

You can get a 1994 Center console, that actually gives you a pouch to store stuff. Other then that you might be able to find a center console pouch on ebay, they used to make one's that went above the "drink holders" in the pre 94 cars. As for tall people mods, the only thing I can think of would be to research a seat foamectomy.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 06:46:07 PM »

Sables of the same year have cup holders n a coin tray that slides right in

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 01:17:45 PM »

94 consoles do help bring the interior a little more up to date, but unless you like running with the armrest up and crushing the top of your drinks, you won't enjoy the cup holding there either. As far as seating options, many of us have found junkyard seats from other makes that are quite nice, but there are trade offs of course. Since you are about 6" taller than I am, maybe you should steer away from BMW 318 seats like mine. I struggle to see green lights and Grand Rapids is an easier place to drive than Chi-town. I sure love them though - heated and just the right firmness, and 6 manual adjustments.

Make sure if you replace rather than rebuild, that you measure width, seat length, and check the stock landscape of the floor. I made a cardboard template and carried it to the junkyard so I could be sure they would not be too tight in my car.

Maybe some of you with custom eBay seats could inform of your experiences?

Enjoy your Capri  in Chicago and keep in mind that your car is small and the SUV's probably don't see you.

R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

Zmbzy

• Ghost
    • 93 NA Capri
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 12:37:12 AM »

Sables of the same year have cup holders n a coin tray that slides right in

Ooo, Mercury Sable dashes look strikingly similar too. I wouldn't mind getting that pretty gauge cluster out of the upper trim levels either. I need to do some research and head to the wreckers....

94 consoles do help bring the interior a little more up to date, but unless you like running with the armrest up and crushing the top of your drinks, you won't enjoy the cup holding there either. As far as seating options, many of us have found junkyard seats from other makes that are quite nice, but there are trade offs of course. Since you are about 6" taller than I am, maybe you should steer away from BMW 318 seats like mine. I struggle to see green lights and Grand Rapids is an easier place to drive than Chi-town. I sure love them though - heated and just the right firmness, and 6 manual adjustments.

Make sure if you replace rather than rebuild, that you measure width, seat length, and check the stock landscape of the floor. I made a cardboard template and carried it to the junkyard so I could be sure they would not be too tight in my car.

Maybe some of you with custom eBay seats could inform of your experiences?

Enjoy your Capri  in Chicago and keep in mind that your car is small and the SUV's probably don't see you.

I get what you're saying, but almost anything else would be better than the stock cupholders and seats. I've been eyeing Audi TT seats, but bringing a cardboard template and bringing it to the wreckers is a great plan. I don't want to waste money and time on an ill-fitting set of seats in a car that I already have trouble fitting in haha

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 06:52:36 AM »

Just to be clear, my reference to green lights is referring to the difficulty of seeing overhead traffic lights with the top on. The stock Capri seats, as junky as they are, (especially 91-93) are very low profile and mount low to the floor. Every centimeter you raise the seat has a compound effect on the overhead sight line, so that is the trade-off. You rarely see nice Capri seats though. The fabric is awful and worse, the foam padding inside disintegrates and you see yellow dust on the carpet and wrinkles in the fabric.

Do check the clearance also on the Sable cup holder idea. I have to doubt that there is room there for a cup of joe when you are shifting. However, this would be less of an issue with automatics.

I do have a set of 94 cloth seats but they would have to be rebuilt and reupholstered. I’m heading for Naperville tomorrow so if you want them shoot me a pm. I could let them go pretty cheap. They really are comfortable seats when you redo them.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

94daves

• 1994 Mercury Capri N/A
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 09:49:54 PM »

What year BMW 318 did you get the seats from?  Was it difficult to make them fit?

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 11:14:56 PM »

It was a 98 318i, heated seats. I’ll have to see if there are pix on this site. I made pretty flat brackets that bolt to the bmw holes in the front, they are about 4” long and mate to the OEM front holes in the Capri floor, snaking up to the bmw bolt holes. For the back holes I just ran a 1-1/2x1-1/2” square tube across the floor bolt holes and drilled them, then added bolts through the stock floor holes. Then I drilled holes in the top side of each end of the tubes and bolted the bmw seat holes to the tubes. Worked out beautifully but your riding about an inch higher than stock. The bmw heater switches fit perfectly in my 94 Capri window switch holes in the console, only had to file an edge a smidge. I still use the stock 91 window switches in the door. Man those heaters are nice these cold days!

I’ll have to look for pix.
R. Powell