TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Gear shift assembly  (Read 2903 times)

Bwest246

• 91 Mercury Capri
Gear shift assembly
« on: July 26, 2018, 10:33:29 AM »

Hello, I'm a capri noob and this is my first post! I have a 91' 5 speed manual and I took it to a shop and was told the gear shift assembly needed to be replaced. Can someone help me figure out what that is and where to buy parts to replace it?

TWFodor

• 1994 Capri, 2005 Ford Focus, 1991 Ford Festiva
Re: Gear shift assembly
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 01:46:36 PM »

I'm surprised that they are telling you the entire thing needs to be replaced. I'm not sure you can purchase the entire assembly new anywhere, but I could be wrong. I believe there was a guy selling one on the facebook group, if you're on there.

Did they say what was wrong with it? I'm thinking the bushings are probably just bad and need to be replaced, which is far cheaper than replacing the entire assembly.

Bwest246

• 91 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 02:58:13 PM »

Yea that's what I was thinking but I'm willing to buy a new shifter if I have to. Think it'll be a better option to just buy bushings and replace them and see if that fixes the problem? The only thing wrong is the fact that the shifter is really sloppy

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 05:29:13 PM »

Bushings will solve the sloppy shifter. If the shift rods are real rusted, it could need replaced.

I'm pretty sure you can buy the whole thing new from the mazda dealer. It would be for the 88 mazda 323 GT sedan.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 09:32:53 PM »

Unless your shifter has dropped (which is a common occurrence with these cars), I would suspect your bushings need replaced. There are 4 bushings, 2 on each end of the shift rod that are easy to replace. You can search on this site for threads on the bushings,  there are great articles with pictures on the facebook site. The napa bushing that fits is ATM0771303 and is pretty cheap.
John