TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weird problem. . . .  (Read 6793 times)

rls120

• 1991 Mercury Capri xr2, 1994 Wrangler, 1994 Saab
Re: Weird problem. . . .
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 10:00:32 AM »

Further update:

1.  Replaced injectors with the set that came with the car. . . not known to be good:  just doing the parts changing thing to see what happens.
2.  Long story short, discovered that the intercooler was full of oil.  Interesting, because I had checked it when I first bought the car, and it was clean at that point.
3.  Cleaned the intercooler and piping, replaced the pcv valve, pulled the valve cover and sealed the baffles.  Also checked the turbo (again):  it has NO detectable play in it. 
4.  Started the engine and drove it a little bit.  The valve train was clattery, so I drained the oil.  Much fuel in it!  Replaced oil and filter, and we've got our car back:  runs great.  We've now put a couple of hundred trouble free miles on it.

Conclusions:  I've been chasing my tail.  It clearly originally had the fuel problem, because the oil was full of fuel.  I think that either the new ECU or the used injectors solved that, but I couldn't tell, because I still had smoke due to all of the oil in the intercooler.  Have I solved either problem?  I can't be sure at this point, but I'm hopeful.  Time will tell. 

We're just happy to have our awesome little Capri back.  It really is a delightful car to drive!  I'm just sorry we missed the Freeport meet.  Maybe next year.

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 10:39:34 PM »

Awesome! Keep an eye on it but it does seem like you figured it out, but I'm with you on the caution. I like that car is running right and not smoking and I can understand how too much fuel can flood the crankcase which in turn can thin the oil enough to vaporize it and send it throughout the induction system via the PCV pathway.

It would have been good to meet you at Freeport. You might have won a trophy just for showing up. I was late due to my daughter's Escape dropping half the exhaust system about halfway to Chicago, so I showed up right after voting and since I had the only 91 XR2 I won a trophy by default! Yeah maybe next year. Look what the Cubs did!
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

rls120

• 1991 Mercury Capri xr2, 1994 Wrangler, 1994 Saab
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 12:47:04 PM »

It has been about a month now, and so far so good. . .(hope I'm not jinxing myself).  Thanks to all of you for your advice and good wishes as I worked through what appear now to be multiple problems. 
Pages: 1 [2]