TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: 94 capri has left us stranded twice; starts up the next morning  (Read 3980 times)

Babycar Mom

• 1994 Mercury Capri
94 capri has left us stranded twice; starts up the next morning
« on: September 27, 2017, 10:49:49 AM »

I have a 94 capri, recently tuned up, and in otherwise good shape.  Recently drove about 20 miles, and she died; no warning, no lights.  Would turn over but not start.  Next morning she started right up.  Next trip, same thing, drove 6 miles to a restaurant.  When we came out she wouldn't start.  Next morning, started right up.  Drove her straight to the garage approx 5-10 miles, where she died just as we drove into the lot.  She's been there almost a month, and they say they've driven her at least 20 times and can't get it to happen, and they don't want to start replacing parts that aren't needed.  Hubby has researched and thinks it may be an ignition module (on ebay for $149), and thinks we should purchase and ship it to the garage.  Does anyone have any experience with this or advice?  I miss my Baby Car.

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
Re: 94 capri has left us stranded twice; starts up the next morning
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 07:59:25 PM »

Might try Autozone , got mine there for less than that with a warranty. Had similar problem, then would not start at all .

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 08:11:46 PM »

Very very possible, they heat up and quit working. Bite the bullet and just replace it. If that does not fix it you can check that off and know you have a good one. Although I would start with the cheaper stuff, fuel filter for sure regardless, then look to the pump and filter sock. Check the fuel pressure as well. Still sounds like the ign module .

Babycar Mom

• 1994 Mercury Capri
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 11:41:40 AM »

Thanks--Fuel filter has already recently been replaced, so that part should be good.  Hubby checked with Auto Zone who quoted over $200 for module (not sure if it's inner or outer).  Is the problem likely the module inside the distributor or outside?  Is there a diagnostic test for either?  Thanks so much for your help. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:02:19 PM by Babycar Mom »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 12:10:19 PM »

Easy check for the ignitor module:
When the car dies, and you're trying to restart it - does the tachometer needle bounce?

If it doesn't move at all, it's usually indicative of a dying ignitor.

The behavior you're describing (dying once warm, re-starting later after it's cooled) is textbook ignitor failure on the Capri.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Babycar Mom

• 1994 Mercury Capri
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 12:25:25 PM »

Not sure.  Will have the tach checked.  It's been at the garage almost a month with no dx. We're talking the module inside the distributor, right (not the outside)?

Babycar Mom

• 1994 Mercury Capri
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »

With symptoms being consistent with ignitor module, want to be sure I need the one below that goes inside the distributor and not outside.  Can someone please confirm this?

https://www.amazon.com/IGNITION-MODULE-MERCURY-MD611539-J790X00771/dp/B00B3YWKX2

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 12:50:56 PM »

That does not look like the correct module. Though I'm not positive what the Non turbo one looks like, It's been a while since I've had my hands on a NA distributor.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Babycar Mom

• 1994 Mercury Capri
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 01:50:31 PM »

Rocketman--thank you for your help. Before your current reply, I had texted and then had a nice conversation with Russ at Roo (he says your advice is gold!).  He had an ignitor module which I've bought from him.  You're right--it doesn't look like that one on Amazon.  He too is convinced this is our problem.  Based on our (internet) research, my husband and I were confused on whether the ignitor module suspected to be our problem was for inside the distributor or on the outside.