TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: WTB Alternator  (Read 3761 times)

Greg_B

WTB Alternator
« on: August 26, 2017, 10:52:13 AM »

My bearing is starting to make noise, was thinking of re-building an original alternator before I pull mine.  Just in case I screw it up   ::)

Anyone have an original they would part with?, no "autozone re-builds" please.

Let me know by messaging here with price and shipping to 17551.

Thanks

Greg
Greg

olliebreed

• 1991 Mercury Capri Convertible
Re: WTB Alternator
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 08:12:24 AM »

still in need? https://claz.org/classifieds?q=capri+Alternator sorry if not appropriate

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 12:51:56 PM »

Sorry Ollie, that alternator is for the European early 1970's Capri with Lucas electrical systems. Our 1989-1994 Capris have Mitsubushi alternators (someone else chime in if you remember an alternate manufacturer, seems there was one other maker as well, denso?)
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 02:57:35 PM »

Sorry Ollie, that alternator is for the European early 1970's Capri with Lucas electrical systems. Our 1989-1994 Capris have Mitsubushi alternators (someone else chime in if you remember an alternate manufacturer, seems there was one other maker as well, denso?)

I think it was indeed Denso, they came on the early build Capris, up to some point in 91. They can be identified by their external cooling fan
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 10:56:02 PM »

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, it's a Bosch unit. I have that in my 92 xr2 right now, and it's my third one I've put in. I don't know if anybody else is that an issue with these things burning out so very quickly under otherwise normal operating conditions, but it might be worth it to just stick with the stock setup.

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 06:17:38 AM »

Bearings going bad like the OP had happen should br more common on our cars since we run the belt tension high to stop the squealing due to the poor design. But my alternator showed no signs of trouble when I had it rebuilt, I just figured with about 120k on it, and the belt system apart why not rebuild it? Good thing I did. It did have a bad diode that really presented no noticeable symptoms.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 08:22:42 AM »

Here's something intresting, when I replaced my alternator I got a newer style Bosch Unit but the pulley was completely different. The old alternator would squel alot, but with this smaller pulley design I've never had it squee once, the only downside is I wasn't able to use the new thick Belt Russ made.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 03:29:35 PM »

The older style alternators didn't seem to suffer from the same pulley issues as the new ones. There's a misalignment between the pulleys that causes excessive wear/friction on the belt. This seems to be an issue with replacement/rebuilt alternators
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"