TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Capri vs. Miata  (Read 2365 times)

KYCapri

• 1991 capri
Capri vs. Miata
« on: August 08, 2017, 09:53:45 PM »

I have been fortunate to be able to have purchased a few cars that I have always wanted and couldn't afford them when they were new. Two of these cars, the Mercury Capri in Mazda Miata I now own. After  owning both cars I cannot believe how much more I like the Mercury Capri. To me it is far superior. The Miata does have better handling but that is about it. I after owning them I am shocked that Capri was not the car that was more desired by the general public back in the day. It is a lot better for daily driving,  has more room and I am surprised it wasn't in braced better back when they were new and competing against each other. I know this site is probably biased!  what do you think?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Capri vs. Miata
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 08:35:38 AM »

I agree with your assessment.  The Miata may handle a little better, but I feel the Capri is a much more versatile vehicle and just as sporty.  It may be that it wasn't considered a sports car because it is a four seater and that may be why it wasn't as popular.  I feel another reason is that it was a Mercury.  With all respect, what did Mercury know about selling sports cars.  There were a couple of videos on YouTube explaining how to market the Capri to young men and women.  It's pretty funny.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 05:05:42 PM »

Agree with this pretty well. I would say the Capri is the better car once you throw some money into the suspension. Considering the fact you get a stock turbo system that's easy yo mod, whereas the Miata is can cost a arm and a leg to buy a turbo.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 08:29:22 PM »

As much as I love my Capri, I would say the Miata is overall a better car. The Miata has better handling, brakes, build quality/design, more capable RWD platform, and better resale value too.

I wouldn't call a Capri a sports car simply because from a performance perspective it's not that impressive, It's FWD, and upgradeability is lackluster.

But I do feel the Capri is a better daily driver then a Miata cuz it's roomier with a semi usable backseat, optional hardtop, and the FWD performs better in substandard weather conditions.