TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: WTB Hardtop and front seats - Got'em-  (Read 2700 times)

sewvacman

• 91 base
WTB Hardtop and front seats - Got'em-
« on: August 16, 2017, 07:34:49 AM »

Looking to buy a hardtop and front seats in good condition. I would prefer red for the top but beggars can't be choosers. Let me know what you've got, where you are, and how much you want for them. If someone knows where to get decent new seats reasonably please let me know. I am in Gettysburg PA.
Thanks for looking
No longer looking thanks

'91 base
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:14:24 PM by sewvacman »

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
Re: WTB Hardtop and front seats
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 10:05:45 AM »

Welcome to the site. There are a number of Capri owners in PA who are members here and will eventually be able to provide answers for your question. As  far as where to look for a hardtop, I would check eBay and then a carefully worded search on searchtempest.com, which is a search engine for Craigslist across the nation. If someone has one those two sites will let you know who and where.

As for the seats, no new ones are available, only seatcovers. However, decent racing buckets are available on eBay but you have to fabricate mounting somehow. A lot of people search junkyards for decent seats out of other hardtop sports cars because soft tops usually have wrecked seats. If you do, search TeamCapri for the thread about other seats and you will find what others like and what will fit. I measured the stock seats and found BMW 318i heated seats at my local LKQ junkyard in fine shape for $70. I replaced one heat pad for $70 more, and found the heater switches on eBay for $10. I used the BMW rails and added my own fabricated brackets to mate up with the bolt holes into the floor. They are really comfy, offer 8 adjustments, and the heat is wonderful in the winter or on cool days with the soft top.

Or, find a local trim shop and have your seats redone, including new foam because the foam dry rots and crumbles away and it will probably need replaced as wall.

I just talked to Russ of Roo-Sort.com on Saturday and if he had a top or seats, you would face two challenges - getting ahold of him, and shipping from Chicago. If you want to try texting him, his number is (847) 370-3760, don't try leaving a message since he took a 12 hour a day factory job and just dosent have the time for anything but text. Those are my suggestions - check the junk yards for tops as well, but they are rare. There is a guy in the Detroit area who is parting out his 94 XR2 - look in the classifieds section of this site. He had both roof and seats I think, but maybe they are sold by now. Hope this helps.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 07:27:47 PM »

Welcome to the group.  Don't know how much you call reasonable, but Recaro, Cerrallo, and Scat seats(Summit Racing) all make sports car type seats that fold and recline for approximately $400 each.  You'll have to create mounts yourself.  Check the for sale page on the forum for a top.  These are complicated little suckers and it is very difficult to find people to work on them properly, so stay in touch cause the help you're going to get on here will be worth a treasure.  Enjoy.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

sewvacman

• 91 base
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 11:06:48 PM »

Thanks guys for the assistance.
I went on searchtempest.com and couldn't find a hardtop under $700 or seats at all. Then I looked at cars for sale and found a listing for 2 whole cars, one was driveable, the other is missing the front right fender and was for parts but both run and he was asking $1000. 1 has a nice red hard top and a couple-year-old soft top, both are 5 speeds, have decent seats and run. Got them for $600 for the pair since the clutch pedal on the main one went straight to the floor, which doesn't bother me that much since I am currently fixing up an automatic with my son and all the parts I need are there. My wife is not all that happy that there is going to be 2 more cars in the yard but I think I came out ahead on that deal, and there may be a 5-speed build in my future.

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 11:30:01 PM »

That's actually the route most of take - a parts car or two. Good deal for ya!
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 09:13:38 PM »

Yeah, what he said and I'm jealous.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd