TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Capri vs. Miata  (Read 2364 times)

KYCapri

• 1991 capri
Capri vs. Miata
« on: August 08, 2017, 09:53:45 PM »

I have been fortunate to be able to have purchased a few cars that I have always wanted and couldn't afford them when they were new. Two of these cars, the Mercury Capri in Mazda Miata I now own. After  owning both cars I cannot believe how much more I like the Mercury Capri. To me it is far superior. The Miata does have better handling but that is about it. I after owning them I am shocked that Capri was not the car that was more desired by the general public back in the day. It is a lot better for daily driving,  has more room and I am surprised it wasn't in braced better back when they were new and competing against each other. I know this site is probably biased!  what do you think?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Capri vs. Miata
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 08:35:38 AM »

I agree with your assessment.  The Miata may handle a little better, but I feel the Capri is a much more versatile vehicle and just as sporty.  It may be that it wasn't considered a sports car because it is a four seater and that may be why it wasn't as popular.  I feel another reason is that it was a Mercury.  With all respect, what did Mercury know about selling sports cars.  There were a couple of videos on YouTube explaining how to market the Capri to young men and women.  It's pretty funny.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 05:05:42 PM »

Agree with this pretty well. I would say the Capri is the better car once you throw some money into the suspension. Considering the fact you get a stock turbo system that's easy yo mod, whereas the Miata is can cost a arm and a leg to buy a turbo.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 08:29:22 PM »

As much as I love my Capri, I would say the Miata is overall a better car. The Miata has better handling, brakes, build quality/design, more capable RWD platform, and better resale value too.

I wouldn't call a Capri a sports car simply because from a performance perspective it's not that impressive, It's FWD, and upgradeability is lackluster.

But I do feel the Capri is a better daily driver then a Miata cuz it's roomier with a semi usable backseat, optional hardtop, and the FWD performs better in substandard weather conditions.