TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Roo Sport  (Read 4295 times)

rls120

• 1991 Mercury Capri xr2, 1994 Wrangler, 1994 Saab
Roo Sport
« on: July 28, 2017, 04:55:29 PM »

I've been trying to contact Roo Sport for over a week with no success.  No answer to phone on either number, no callback when message is left, no reply to email.  Do any of you know how to get parts from them?  Are they still in business?

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
Re: Roo Sport
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 07:17:24 PM »

When I couldn't get ahold of Russ I have had success by asking a question through his eBay store account. I know, for someone who owns a business selling online he is amazingly hard to contact. Don't get me wrong, he's really nice and has great prices and all, and he's the only person with some parts, but I've seen this before about two years back.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

rls120

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 11:20:53 AM »

Thanks!
I had tried to find the Ebay store once, and failed to.  After reading SHOwn's post I tried again, found the Ebay store AND the part I've been wanting to buy.  Hit the 'buy it now' button, and Bob's your uncle!

We love the car, but given its 'quirkiness' and the difficulty in finding parts, it would be next to impossible to own without this forum.

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 12:54:50 PM »

I couldn't agree more. This site keeps owning and driving a Capri possible. There is the yahoo groups, but if you check the numbers recorded on posts there the visits are almost 0.

Only about 25% of the auto parts needed to keep these cars running are available at local auto parts stores, and a good portion of those have to be ordered (and I live in a decent sized metro area). Russ keeps us going, along with Rock-Auto and eBay, sometimes Amazon, Flyinmiata, and if all else fails, moderncapripart$.com (wow premium price$ - can you say "market exploitation?"). At least I can visit Joes in Spring Lake - he has about 5 Capris in the yard if you count the derelicts.  That's why most of us have a parts junker in the back yard. I stripped one and put everything in the shed, basement and on shelves in the garage. 

That just reminds me to thank all the rest of the members who post here fairly faithfully. You guys save my butt all the time! I really couldn't fix this thing without y'all! :D

The service manual tells you a lot, but the diagnosing is always more helpful from fellow owners.

Don't get down on the number of visitors here either. I've noticed that the numbers go down when the weather is nice across the country - everyone is out driving their convertibles in the sunshine. 8)

R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 01:41:45 PM »

Totally agree with everything being said. This forum is a complete life saver at times. My one complaint is that diagnosing problems can be pretty hard considering the fact that my 1993 Service manual is really isn't very descriptive at all and the lack of good pictures for the parts/servicing for this car has been kind of a hassle.

As for Russ he's been incredibly hit and miss for me as of the last year. I've had a incredibly hard time getting parts from him, and I've pretty much gone to just using this forum to get my parts, as it's been way quicker and easier then going through a several month process with Russ. Last I heard from him he was getting out of Roo-Sport and that he will still be selling parts, but with much less part stock. From what it seemed he had sold it to someone else or something.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 10:22:29 PM »

I think Russ has taken a real job and doesn't have as much time to devote to RooSport.  I talked to a guy in PA who was interested in buying it, but I think he was under capitalized and haven't any more from it.

Jack Byrd

Jack Byrd

rls120

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 06:15:32 PM »

For what it is worth, I just got notification from Ebay that my part was shipped today, two days after I ordered it.  Not too bad, after spending two weeks trying every other conceivable method of trying to buy a part from Russ using 'conventional' media!

If one needs something that isn't listed in the Ebay store,  I don't know what you are supposed to do.  I'd try emailing him via the Ebay store, as SHOwn suggested early in this thread. . .

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 12:32:17 PM »

I would consider buying it, if I can ship all the parts up here to Minnesota.

Slow Ride

• 1993 Mercury Capri XR2
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 03:39:23 PM »

To much of a coincidence???  I sent an email to Russ and Diane about twenty minutes before logging into Team Capri to find that others were asking the same question I emailed to him..."Are you still in business?" 

I need rear struts and related components and don't know where else to buy them unless from him.  Any suggestions?
Thank you.

Jon

rls120

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 08:25:36 PM »

The Ebay store is definitely still in business.  I just got the part I ordered in a timely fashion with a Roo Sport Catalog. 

Forget about getting a response via phone or conventional Email. . . . . .

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 08:50:06 PM »

You can get all the suspension components from RockAuto or usually Autozone. Like I said he's still selling parts, but he's cut his part stock drastically, apparently when he moved he scrapped all of his parts cars, due to lack of space to store them. The only stuff he has left must be items from his barn. Definetly use EBay to get items from him it seems to be the only thing that works, I've done it but it was about 6months back.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)