TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How much for an engine rebuild?  (Read 6351 times)

Colorado1

How much for an engine rebuild?
« on: May 11, 2011, 06:35:00 AM »

For those that have done a successful complete engine rebuild I was wondering how much it ran them. With over 170,000 mi. I may want to do it someday/some winter. This would be for an XR2 machining and all. Thanks

Colorado1

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 06:36:00 AM »

Oh yeah, are any parts tough to find?

rcdraco

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »

Depends how in depth you're going.  External engine parts are common, internal engine parts can be gotten easily from midco or from some mazda performance places.

Colorado1

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »

Sounds like the parts aren't that bad then. I was thinking all the way to a new water pump,i.e. brand new after the rebuild. Bore out the pistons if need be & keep the crank(new bearings),& cams unless they make better aftermarket. Everything else new so starting w/ 0 miles. Don't know if they make oversized pistons if needed, but I'd buy them too. No radical internals unless they would have to be replaced. I was thinking it would run around $1500 but I may be way off.

rcdraco

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »

That's probably the ceiling for price for what you plan to do.  The main problem with our cars is that most parts stores lack information on the nature of the car.  Half of all the parts I've purchased are for the 323, because it doesn't list the part for the capri.

Colorado1

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »

Thanks rcdraco

kelly270

• http://na
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »

Yes they make oversize pistons, I just bought some wiseco 20 over, for around $500, none of the parts stores could get them, either for the capri or the mazda. I'll dig through my reciepts and get the name for you. I've bought every new and spent serious hours researching parts, not only for good prices, but quality parts. I'm looking for 300 hp. and need everything in the engine to be able to handle it!!!!
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

Colorado1

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »

Really appreciate it kelly270. I've paid 600.00 for 4 on something else & it really did pay off. This could be a really useful thread in the future with all the parts in one place instead of spread all out. My comp. is just over 100 ea. cylinder so I know I'll need to bore em. Still have plenty of power @ 12lbs. boost, but sometime I'm gonna want to do this. After exhaust & turbo I'm done-which means more or stop, may as well go all out!
  Rob

kelly270

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »

Yeah bro--thanks, tommorrow I'll go to the shed where are the reciepts are, it'll save you some foot steps. believe me there are foot steps, the same pistons I bought were at corksport and they wanted, like 800.00! I was at a loss cause they guy doing my motor had told me that the block had to be rebored cause it was a little eggshaped. So then I started looking. Gates has good timing stuff, adjustable timing gears and cool blue belts. Like rocket said, try looking under 87-89 mazda 323 gt and gtx's if your running into road blocks with the capri.Almost all the b6 blocks are the same, with slight varuiations. Generally speaking most parts that say they fit a b6 block will work,but on the top end and pistons, you want low compression. Joe uses a high comp short bloc and has amazing results. Check out any of his threads rcicustoms on this site, from what I hear he has one faaassst car, (with a b6t).
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

Colorado1

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »

I remember Joe had high compression. I just want it back to normal 140ish. The $600 ones I bought were 12:1 racing pistons but it wasn't a turbo & I switched cams also. In fact it reminded me that the roll bar(for an Alpha Spyder), may actually fit in these. I have to see if the place even exists still in Ca. to look fir dimensions. I keep spacing that idea.

kelly270

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 02:38:00 AM »

Hey Colorado-- I finally got around to digging through my shed and found the reciept I was looking for, so Ill just post the link, this was the cheapest place that I could find for wiseco pistons, after looking for weeks! This place goes all the way up 40 over, yes I know that it is highly unadvisable to do that, in fact I've read that 20 over is not advisable.here it is;

http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/wiseco/apps-Mazda.html  

If any one knows a cheaper place, bring it on!!

I can dig at the reciepts if you need any more info. Good luck on the build, it aint gonna be cheap!! Oh yeah, these fit right on to the 323 rods with no mods. I was going to get forged ones, but the 323 rods are beafy as hell already, so they just got balanced.
Kely
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

tellerx

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 03:23:00 AM »

Hey excellent thread thanx for the debate and so Colorado1 where in CO are u? I'm in Colorado Springs

Colorado1

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »

So am I. See the RED post on your Capri pic. Was sure it was you. Probably called about the bumbers for extra parts. Mines green & getting more beat up by the day. Working on the exhaust & VJ11/14 soon. Slow going but eventually I'll get to the body. Cheers! Like to see yours in person sometime.
  Rob

Colorado1

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »

Thanks Kelly, checked out the Gates belts also. Heard a lot of replacement belts are not wide enough so every bit helps. This will be really useful in the future. It's a one item @ a time kinda deal for me. Did it that way before though.
  Rob

Shocker

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »

Im in the process of rebuilding my b6t and so far ive spent..

Hone/Prep/Hot Tank Block 85.00
Valve Job/ 225.00
Mic Crank/ Polish 85.00
Gasket Kit 75.00
Timing Belt 30.00
Water Pump 31.00
Case Brake Kleen 30.00
New Wires& Plugs 40.00
Copper Washers 1.00
Main Bearings 45.00
Rod Bearings 40.00
Rings 40.00