TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Engine similarities, one more time.  (Read 8474 times)

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
Engine similarities, one more time.
« on: July 10, 2017, 09:12:56 AM »

So, as far as I know, there's no real mechanical difference between the xr2 and the na Motors, right? Or does the xr2 have oil squirters and the na did not? I'm thinking I'm going to yank the motor out of the parts one before I send it to the scrap yard, rebuild it.

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
Re: Engine similarities, one more time.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 05:37:24 PM »

Bueller?

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 05:42:56 PM »

Mechanically there the same, as in the con-rods, crank, head, intake are the same. Both engines have oil squirters. The XR-2 has I believe 7.1 comp pistons, whereas the N/A is 9.1. As for bearings and the rest other then the sensors, and turbo and a few other bits it's the same. Theoretically you could buy a engine rebuild kit from Flyin Miata, and all the seals and such would be the same, the only thing you would need to pick up might be new pistons, with rings gapped to whatever size you want, and con-rods depending on how far you want to push the engine.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 12:58:38 PM »

So you're saying the na has the same forged rods that the B6t does? Holy shit that would be awesome. Can anybody confirm this?

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 01:43:42 PM »

I don't believe either have forged rods. I think they both are squeeze cast. The only b6 with different rods is the GTX and those are still squeeze cast but they have more material on them. I'm pretty sure Clay could post some pictures of the differences, or if he can't I'll try and find then.

Update: look at this link Clay (azgtx) confirms exactly what I said about the rods being the same as Miata stuff http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?45431-how-much-hp-can-the-stock-b6t-handle
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:01:53 PM by WashiestSnake »
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)