TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: 92 N/A Motor Transfered to 91 XR2  (Read 7718 times)

Reese802

• 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
92 N/A Motor Transfered to 91 XR2
« on: October 08, 2017, 11:03:53 PM »

I've have a 91 XR2 and the motor is getting a little tired with 186k on it and I have a 92 N/A with a lot less miles on it. My plan is to put the motor out of the N/A and  put it in the XR2. The motor out of the 92 is going to get rebuilt anyway, are the motors the same or do I have to change a lot more than it's worth to transfer the motor?

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: 92 N/A Motor Transfered to 91 XR2
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 07:45:13 PM »

The motors are not fully the same. The N/A motor has a much higher compression ratio, that doesn't play well with a turbo system. It also lacks a knock sensor, the oil pan is different, aswell as the distributor and injectors. You could swap it but you would have to change all of those to get it to run right.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

Reese802

• 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 03:30:04 PM »

Thanks

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 07:36:06 PM »

You can swap the motors but yes you have to be aware of the compression ratio. The exhaust camshaft, oil pan, fuel injectors, dizzy, and a few other parts are different and will need to be swapped over. (technically you can get away with the n/a exhaust cam)
You will enjoy the higher compression in off-boost driving, but you will have to be more careful when running higher boost
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"