TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Slippin' away...  (Read 2662 times)

My67falcon

• '11 Fx2, '11 Lincoln MKX, '95 Trans Am, '92 Capri
Slippin' away...
« on: June 28, 2017, 09:44:24 AM »

So I have started getting a bad squeak on startup now that the weather is warm. It only does it in the afternoon when it is above 80ish degrees. At first is was a second or two but now it is a good 10 seconds followed by a horrific sound resembling an A/C compressor going out. Now, I don't have the A/C on and since it doesn't work I haven't even bothered with it but yesterday I noticed my power steering isn't as good as it once way. Checked the reservoir and it was fine. I'm assuming the A/C and PS pump are on the same belt. If so, can I just remove that belt all together? I don't actually need power steering but I'm not sure if taking the belt off could somehow cause another issue? When I do my xr2 motor swap the A/C will be addressed but not a concern right now.

Thanks

NiteLord

• 91Cap,94Cap,86FieroGT,94G.C
Re: Slippin' away...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 05:12:10 PM »

..if it's the A/C compressor causing the problem, you can buy another belt from any parts store for the Capri W/O A/C for by passing your A/C...but if you choose to remove the entire belt there will no harm if you did,  it's a "power assist" unit so you would not notice any real difference while the car is moving except when turning from a stop, then it's a little tough to do but can be done..been there done that...LoL..
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 05:15:07 PM by NiteLord »

blueamber

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 06:50:08 PM »

Tighten the belts?

My67falcon

• '11 Fx2, '11 Lincoln MKX, '95 Trans Am, '92 Capri
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 08:04:51 PM »

The belts are tight with minimum give. Looking at them I'm not really seeing glazing but there really isn't a good way to see that well. I'm fine without power steering as I've driven many without it. Once it cools down and I start getting the new motor ready for the swap I'll have it all put back right, I just don't want to throw a belt and have it cause more damage. She gets drive 150 miles a day and I really don't want to start putting more gas in the truck.