TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Slippin' away...  (Read 2663 times)

My67falcon

• '11 Fx2, '11 Lincoln MKX, '95 Trans Am, '92 Capri
Slippin' away...
« on: June 28, 2017, 09:44:24 AM »

So I have started getting a bad squeak on startup now that the weather is warm. It only does it in the afternoon when it is above 80ish degrees. At first is was a second or two but now it is a good 10 seconds followed by a horrific sound resembling an A/C compressor going out. Now, I don't have the A/C on and since it doesn't work I haven't even bothered with it but yesterday I noticed my power steering isn't as good as it once way. Checked the reservoir and it was fine. I'm assuming the A/C and PS pump are on the same belt. If so, can I just remove that belt all together? I don't actually need power steering but I'm not sure if taking the belt off could somehow cause another issue? When I do my xr2 motor swap the A/C will be addressed but not a concern right now.

Thanks

NiteLord

• 91Cap,94Cap,86FieroGT,94G.C
Re: Slippin' away...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 05:12:10 PM »

..if it's the A/C compressor causing the problem, you can buy another belt from any parts store for the Capri W/O A/C for by passing your A/C...but if you choose to remove the entire belt there will no harm if you did,  it's a "power assist" unit so you would not notice any real difference while the car is moving except when turning from a stop, then it's a little tough to do but can be done..been there done that...LoL..
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 05:15:07 PM by NiteLord »

blueamber

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 06:50:08 PM »

Tighten the belts?

My67falcon

• '11 Fx2, '11 Lincoln MKX, '95 Trans Am, '92 Capri
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 08:04:51 PM »

The belts are tight with minimum give. Looking at them I'm not really seeing glazing but there really isn't a good way to see that well. I'm fine without power steering as I've driven many without it. Once it cools down and I start getting the new motor ready for the swap I'll have it all put back right, I just don't want to throw a belt and have it cause more damage. She gets drive 150 miles a day and I really don't want to start putting more gas in the truck.