TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: It finally happened...  (Read 2493 times)

Int_Doggo

• 91 Capri - 5 Speed
It finally happened...
« on: May 28, 2018, 08:34:25 PM »

Hey everyone.

I haven't posted on here in a while due to moving and all sorts of things, but the main reason is that I no longer have a capri.
This is not by choice, I was driving pretty moderately and when I shifted into third, I heard it. I knew the sound was the rod exiting the block and I saw the piece hit the road in my rear view mirror. Unfortunately at the time I lived with my parents, and they were not about to let me buy a reman long block and rebuild kit. So I had to sell the capri.

This was about one or two months ago and I miss her everyday. :(

If anyone has a capri to sell, Private message me. I might be interested (seeing as I now drive a kia sephia. ugh)
~ My Capri ~
1991 Mercury Capri N/A
5 Speed Manual
White Soft top, No Hard top
Xr2 Spoiler added

Current Mileage: 246,436

Please message me if you can source a rebuild
kit that would work with the n/a engine.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: It finally happened...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 09:55:22 PM »

Ahh that's sucks man. Were you over-revving the engine? What caused it to shoot a rod? Atleast you have a Mazda derivative car, you could probably use the Sephia motor as a swap in you're next Capri if its a BP.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 12:21:47 AM »

Did you have advance warning?

I was driving a Capri (not mine) when it threw two rods. It sounded horrible, I should not have driven it. It ended up being a good thing in the long run after a lot of work (n/a to turbo conversion) But I had plenty of warning
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Int_Doggo

• 91 Capri - 5 Speed
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 06:49:24 PM »

Sorry for the late reply guys, been busy with work and all.

Actually I had a video of the engine running before it blew and in person it sounded alright, but in the video there is evident knocking that I guess I didn't hear somehow. The entire time I owned the car the oil pressure would fluctuate a lot more than seemed normal, so my guess is the oil pump went out, causing one of the bearings to slip. The oil pressure gauge would just drop to zero sometimes, but giving it a little bit of gas would bring it back up. Should have fixed the issue when It occurred, but I got lazy. Also funny you mention swapping a sephia motor in, I actually got a low miles sephia as a replacement car for the time being. Unfortunately though, I do still live with my parents, and they weren't about to let me use their space to rebuild/swap an engine, and they forced me to sell my car. One day I will own another capri, as of when, I'm not sure.
~ My Capri ~
1991 Mercury Capri N/A
5 Speed Manual
White Soft top, No Hard top
Xr2 Spoiler added

Current Mileage: 246,436

Please message me if you can source a rebuild
kit that would work with the n/a engine.