TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: water pump help info  (Read 2830 times)

gary scott

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1993 N/A blue / white soft / blue hard top
water pump help info
« on: June 10, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »

Hello folks. I am changing cooling system parts on my capri. 1993 5spd N/A. I am looking to change the water pump and see that the manual says remove timing belt... so I suppose I should change the timing belt while its off.

questions:
1.how difficult to CHANGE timing belt?it looks pretty tricky by the directions in the manual.

2. how difficult is it to change the water pump?seems simple by the instructions.

3. what is the time to make these changes?

I need to know if i need to take 1 day or 3 days for this / these jobs.

thanks for your input.
Gary

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
water pump help info
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »

If you've never done it before, it wouldn't hurt to set aside two days for it.

Yes, you'll need to remove the timing belt to change the pump.

The really difficult part is getting the pulley of the front of the engine (large nose) I make a tool to help, if you're interested.

You'll need to unbolt the pass. motor mount and jack up the engine a bit to get to the water pump efficiently. Doesn't hurt to remove the passenger side knuckle for clearance (leave the axle in) but it's not totally necesary.

Re-timing the engine is a bit tricky but if you take your time or have an extra set of hands it's easy.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

gary scott

• TeamCapri Supporter
water pump help info
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »

thanks Matt,

I was thinking maybe starting friday June 29 and give myself the week vacation of July 4th to get it done. if it only takes 2 days (haven't changed one on a capri yet) I may take a little more time, and ask my son to take pictures for me, and take notes. that way he can take a little credit for helping with it.
and i could have a personal reference for my 2nd and 3rd capris when i get them.

How do I contact you about the tool. I may be interested. price, payment method accepted, shipping etc.
although my nephew may have something i can use just as well.

again, I have never changed a timing belt before, that is why I am nervous about that part.

it seems the timing belt is the most difficult project I will be working on in the next 60 to 90 days.

other planned projects... father - son jobs
1. cv joint - driver side
2. shifter bushings
3. at some point this year replace the soft top.

minor things... son - father jobs
1. get speedometer to work
2. troubleshoot and repair passenger window
3. glove box latch
4. trunk lock
5. replace outside door handles. - pass side broken.
6. rear reflector and front turn signal lens - driver side.
7. bulbs - trunk, floorboard, mirror etc.
8. plug connector for hard top

looking forward to learning more about this little car.
Gary

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
water pump help info
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »

The timing belt on the Capri is fairly easy, just a little tight at times. Some cars it's an absolute nightmare. Even if you screw it up - it's a non-interference engine, so it won't hurt anything.

This is the timing tool I make:

If you have a large nose crank you will save a considerable amount of time using it. Email me: rocketman[AT]werbatfik.com I accept Paypal or checks/money orders, they're $40 shipped. Will need to know if you have a large or small-nose crankshaft.

The rest of your projects sound pretty straightforward - the speedometer is likely a broken cable
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 02:37:20 PM by Rocketman »

gary scott

• TeamCapri Supporter
water pump help info
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »

how do I know if it is a large nose or small nose crank? can I simply tell by removing the timing cover(s) and looking at it?
Gary

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
water pump help info
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »

Is it a 92+ (large nose)92

91 models can be either. Look at the crank pulley - the four bolts - are the in a rectangular shape, with a notch & keyway? (small nose)

Or are they perfect square, with a small hole for an alignment pin? (large nose)

You can see the bolt patterns in the crank tools posted above.

Here's some info, you can go by bolt size as well. (note the slots in the pulley does not alwatys apply to the Capri) http://www.miata.net//garage/crankshaft.html