TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: 93 Capri with electric problems, maybe more  (Read 2393 times)

WTP

• 1992 Mercury Capri
93 Capri with electric problems, maybe more
« on: June 21, 2017, 11:52:26 AM »

Capri starts quick but sputters when accelerating.  Stops sputtering when let off the gas.  At speed it seems ok.  But when driving a short distance it uses up it's electricity and dies.  Dead battery.  Auto shop says alternator is charging but even with new battery, same thing.  What to do?

One question is Does this car use a positive ground?  Seems old MG's were different.   Maybe my problem is from reverse hooking up battery?  Which is correct? 

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
Re: 93 Capri with electric problems, maybe more
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 10:58:13 PM »

Negative ground.

If you had reversed connections, i'm not sure it would explain your symptoms, although I've yet to experience this myself.

Check fuses and ground, inspect ecm for corrosion.

WTP

• 1992 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 01:03:18 PM »

Thanks Gaz,  Pos/Neg was a big question.  I need to get some reading done and a good manual for this car.  Seems I read that Mazda parts will interchange, is this car using Mazda running gear?  Where can I find parts and swap relief?  I have not been very good at finding things to get the bodywork done, but I have finished a nice Cardinal Red painting project.  I still need some emblems and a windshield.  And get started on some mechanical bugs, sputtering and electric charging.  I did have a better guy check out my electric and was told my alternator was not charging,  Need to get time to get it to the shop.  Also need to get interior done.  Tears in both seats and cat or coon has "marked" my interior.  Car was at Dad's and came here with it's smell.  We have a "pet" coon that eats our bird seed and the car must have been "recaptured" here with our coon .  Should not have left the top down, it definitely got a fresh spray.  Don't find it too bad at about 50.  May have to change entire interior, even what I feel is good.  When I had it in the body shop they told me when they opened up on day two, their eyes watered when they came to work.  So Much for closing the shop doors.  Do you have a source for windshield, seat coverings and carpet?  Can you share some supply points for the Capri?  This is a one of a kind of model for here in Paris Ky.

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 11:11:01 PM »

Here's the service manuals..http://werbatfik.com/Capri_Service_Manual.htm
As for the rest, sounds a little like a Capri that needs a lot of work. Ok, yes the engine is Mazda, was in the 323, even a turbo version 2 or 3 years before the Capri was launched. Many other parts are Mazda as well.

You asked a lot of questions and mention a number of problems, wish I could address them all, but this would go on too long. Russ Carlson at Roo-Sport.com is our best friend as Capri owners. However, getting ahold of him can be challenging at times. If he does not respond to phone messages try finding his eBay store and messaging him through the site messaging. Another site is ModernCapriParts.com who seems to have a lot of hard to find parts. They know that, as proof, just examine their pricing.

If looking for OEM parts, those are the two most promising sources. If you know an exact part number, try asking at a Ford or Mazda parts counter, but even my local dealer which had a good reputation for parts has become a one answer machine if I call and ask for a part by year, make and model. Parts others report getting are denied me by telling me "they are no longer available" or "I don't show those in my books". I'm learning to ask for a particular part by number.

If you need aftermarket parts, or parts store parts (replacement), RockAuto.com is king, and FlyinMiata.com has a number of great performance upgrades. I just got my ARP head studs and Comedic head gasket from them.

Good junkyards are key, I have one by my office that has 7 Capris in various stages of decay. AFAIK, new windshields are all gone, but nice used ones can be had. Another option is to buy a parts car. I paid $300 for a non running dented 94 N/A which has provided me thousands of dollars in parts if I had to buy them individually. My pick was unusually good, but I've seen a lot of Capris, running or not, for $2000 very nice ones, $1000 drivable, and under $700 tow-aways.

Your interior, I'd see if you can get a decent parts car and swap the pieces in. Almost every original seat out there is torn, the original foam crumbles. A lot of us fabricate brackets and swap in nice junkyard seats, I have BMW 318i heated seats in mine.

I've overstayed my reply again... There's a lot of work in that car. We'll try to help with answers.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.