TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Car starts then dies, Then starts up. Help  (Read 2162 times)

T Rex

• 1993 Capri N/A. 1995 Rover Mini. 2011 TDI Jetta
Car starts then dies, Then starts up. Help
« on: June 11, 2017, 12:48:17 PM »

'93 N/A car. Worse when cool temp out. In the morning I start it and it goes to 1,500rpm then runs a few seconds dies then starts right back up. Will do this 3 or 4 times then runs fine when warmed up.

New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, mass air meter.

I pulled off the Idle control valve to test. The ohms tested fine and when I warmed it with a hair dryer it shut off flow through the air hoses. The only thing odd was that it didn't flow really freely when cold. Should that flow freely? That's what I was thinking was a possible issue, since the car runs and idles great when warmed up. Thanks for any help, I'm about to let it get 100 degrees out and sell it.

Snigalfriz

• 1991 NA Capri
Re: Car starts then dies, Then starts up. Help
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 05:54:24 PM »

T Rex,

Check you ignition coil.  My did something very similar, then died and won't restart.  I swapped the coil from my other one and it fired up and ran fine.

So I got a new coil and the problem has completely gone away.
Why? I have more time than money, that's why I work on this car!

1991 Mercury Capri 5-sp
1992 Mercury Capri 5-sp swap
1999 Ford Contour SE 24v v6
2003 Lincoln LS
2007 Saturn Outlook XE AWD
2014 Chevy Cruze LT